G60'rado

Junkyard Dog - TDI G60 Corrado

It's been a while since I last did anything on the car. The last couple weekends were spend cleaning and sorting the garage. I put up 4 sets of shelves to organize my crap, including piles and piles of Corrado bits.

Yesterday, I finished assembling my DE brake set from an '03 GTI, and installing them into the car. The calipers have been blasted, and baked with VHT silver. New boots, pins, and seals.

23642793252_0a2d604a53_q.jpgde brakes

Work progresses on the ABS/EDL installation.

Ran the 2000 jetta lines from the passenger side, modded up a custom bracket for the controller/pump, and built a harness that connects to the existing 94 corrado harness.

A few more wires to connect the corrado abs wires to the controller. That will leave just the can bus, data link, and instrument cluster indicators.

I've also been drawing schematics that shows the interconnects.

The other project I've been integrating is the climatronic unit. This one will require a schematic, the system is pretty complicated.

It doesn't help that I have a couple power wires I can't find in the drawings.

The units I have are from 2002 2.8L / 2003 W8 passats.

T16a/7 does to fuse 16. I just can't find what fuse 16 does. Full time, Run, Start+run?

T16a/9 I think is run only (load reduction relay).

So after much poking around in elsawin..

t16a/7 is hot all the time

t16a/9 is hot on run and start..

So I've been heavy into the electrical stuff.

Building wiring interconnect diagrams for the ECU, Climatronic, Passat Cluster, and ABS systems.

Plus figuring out how to reconnect everything from the 94 harness. I've lost a number of labels, but I think I'm 90% complete.

25012645829_cd086391f8_q.jpg

I needed a break from wiring, so I decided to drop my engine engine for a fit test.

25380237015_42c261e8b1_q.jpg

Looks like I have to notch the frame rail a bit to fit the pendulum engine mount. Nothing some 1/8th bar stock can't reenforce.

I do plan on running an uprated PD130 turbo in this thing eventually, so I need all the space I can around the back side. I may even completely remove the rear engine mount.

Hey Man,

Looks great. I know the amount of work involved. i am building a '90 Corrado TDI also. I am using a 98 AHU.

So far I have done:

O2J Shifter tower and box with cables

TDIclub short shifter (Wingnut)

2.5" flex downpipe with SS exhaust

'91 VW Eco air box

SS Boost lines

'05 PD 130hp Intake

'00 Passat instrument cluster

'03 Passat pedal cluster with G60 clutch pedal

'10 VW Common Rail fuel filter

planning:

Sound deadener for interior floor board

'98 Jetta AC evaporator, drier, condenser, compressor

new heater core

some muffler? (Borla)

Euro seat belts

E code headlights

Keep up the good fight!

So I've been heavy into the electrical stuff.

Building wiring interconnect diagrams for the ECU, Climatronic, Passat Cluster, and ABS systems.

Plus figuring out how to reconnect everything from the 94 harness. I've lost a number of labels, but I think I'm 90% complete.

Hey mate a couple of questions, I fitted climatronic a couple of years ago but as of yet I haven't done the wiring for the actual AC just the fan and hot/cold/directional controls. How are you wiring the AC control in as it needs to automatically adjust the engine revs and radiator fans i thought? I've got a new brown 4 pin temp sensor which needs swapping out but the standard one has less connections (2 i think) so where do the others go?

Any help will be much appreciated thanks!

Sounds like we are travelling down the same path. Building an early 2000 corrado TDI.

I'm curious how you fit your passat cluster in. I haven't even started down that path yet, but it is coming up pretty quick.

Cheers!

Hey Man,

Looks great. I know the amount of work involved. i am building a '90 Corrado TDI also. I am using a 98 AHU.

So far I have done:

O2J Shifter tower and box with cables

TDIclub short shifter (Wingnut)

2.5" flex downpipe with SS exhaust

'91 VW Eco air box

SS Boost lines

'05 PD 130hp Intake

'00 Passat instrument cluster

'03 Passat pedal cluster with G60 clutch pedal

'10 VW Common Rail fuel filter

planning:

Sound deadener for interior floor board

'98 Jetta AC evaporator, drier, condenser, compressor

new heater core

some muffler? (Borla)

Euro seat belts

E code headlights

Keep up the good fight!

Edited by G60'rado

I'll be happy to share the info on the climatronic. The one caveat is the there are significant differences in years.

I will be eventually posting a PDF of the wiring interconnect once I have the wiring diagram figured out, but it will be for a 2002 passat system. I'm not sure how that compares with a mkiv climatronic.

Converting the current flow diagrams to an interconnect is proving a challenge.

Hey mate a couple of questions, I fitted climatronic a couple of years ago but as of yet I haven't done the wiring for the actual AC just the fan and hot/cold/directional controls. How are you wiring the AC control in as it needs to automatically adjust the engine revs and radiator fans i thought? I've got a new brown 4 pin temp sensor which needs swapping out but the standard one has less connections (2 i think) so where do the others go?

Any help will be much appreciated thanks!

I'll be happy to share the info on the climatronic. The one caveat is the there are significant differences in years.

I will be eventually posting a PDF of the wiring interconnect once I have the wiring diagram figured out, but it will be for a 2002 passat system. I'm not sure how that compares with a mkiv climatronic.

Converting the current flow diagrams to an interconnect is proving a challenge.

The fact that you are pulling the system out of a 2002 passat shouldn't pose too much of a problem as it is the connections on the Corrado loom that I am interested in, ie whatever system will get installed the ECU needs to know to increase the revs of the engine when the AC is turned on regardless of what system asked for it, if that makes sense?

Purple Tom had a fair bit of experience but got stuck at this point I think, I've done a lot of research not quite found the relevant information. I will be trying again over the summer so will be getting more stuck in then.

The fact that you are pulling the system out of a 2002 passat shouldn't pose too much of a problem as it is the connections on the Corrado loom that I am interested in, ie whatever system will get installed the ECU needs to know to increase the revs of the engine when the AC is turned on regardless of what system asked for it, if that makes sense?

Purple Tom had a fair bit of experience but got stuck at this point I think, I've done a lot of research not quite found the relevant information. I will be trying again over the summer so will be getting more stuck in then.

Yup, I know what your talking about. I've got one more pass to do on just the passat wiring diagram before I'm happy with it. I've found there are even tie ins to the wiper motor, windshield wash button, rear defrost switch. Plus 2 Idle up connections to the motronic (one for AC, and one for rear defrost.)

From there, it will be the interconnect with the corrado loom.

Cheers, Joe

So it's been a while again. But the project continues.

Notched the front frame to fit the mkiv pendulum mount in.

26816638083_b0cbb12462_q.jpg

26816639873_6a67fd7987_q.jpg

Then filled it in with 1/8" square stock, and plate. I should get a picture of the finished area. Probably the strongest part of the car.

This is also the point I exceeded the capacity of the much loved 110v welder. I bought a 220v MIG/DC TIG that has been kicking ass.

26814922734_465d05ddd9_q.jpg

Engine hung on 2 VR6 mounts, and the one pendulum mount. Alot of work, but it means I can clear any turbo I want with out hitting the rear engine support. Still a little to finish, filling in the hole in the wheel well. Time to practice the DC TIG.

Another big job under way, laying out the various harnesses, car chassis, and engine.

27352033801_7201cae5c7_q.jpg

27352041641_2720cb41cc_q.jpg

And that is were we sit now.. One wire at a time.