Blounter

VR6 Coolant leak

Drove the car about a half mile last night and there was puddle of coolant underneath this morning. Coolant level was just about visible in expansion bottle and was still dripping. Seemed to be dripping off the engine by the oil filter. Drove it home,still dripping,jacked the front up,it stopped. Dropped car and run it again,no drips?

Changed thermostat,housing and 3 bolts (new housing to block o ring)back in October and coolant has been lost only last couple of weeks. Checked housing bolts today and seem to be nipped up well. No coolant seems visible looking from topside and none on gearbox (where thermostat is above) or starter motor which is below.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated before I start removing slam panel,rad etc for better access. Cheers

could be the hoses to/from oil cooler

Yeah will check it out. oil cooler is right by the oil filter isn't it?

Water pumps are prone to going bad and leaking, been source of all my coolant leaks in past

Yeah will have a look but not sure the leak is coming from that side of the block it's more rear center near the oil filter

It's usually the crack pipe if you haven't checked that. Look for fractures where it meets the water pump.

Also check the plastic elbow on the front right of the radiator - a hairline crack here will dribble down the radiator under pressure.

Are all your senders in the stat housing secure? If you don't get the clip on quite right you can fail to compress their o-rings enough to make a good seal. That said these usually go by dumping a flood of coolant out the front and dangling on their harness ;)

Stone

Sounds like it's going to be something around the crackpipe as Stonejag says. I recently had a little pipe that runs from the crack pipe into the oil cooler split and it was enough to bring the coolant warning light on once a week or so, depending on how many miles I was doing.

Crack pipe and all those little hoses still available from VW no problems :)

It's usually the crack pipe if you haven't checked that. Look for fractures where it meets the water pump.

Also check the plastic elbow on the front right of the radiator - a hairline crack here will dribble down the radiator under pressure.

Are all your senders in the stat housing secure? If you don't get the clip on quite right you can fail to compress their o-rings enough to make a good seal. That said these usually go by dumping a flood of coolant out the front and dangling on their harness ;)

Stone

Sounds like it's going to be something around the crackpipe as Stonejag says. I recently had a little pipe that runs from the crack pipe into the oil cooler split and it was enough to bring the coolant warning light on once a week or so, depending on how many miles I was doing.

Crack pipe and all those little hoses still available from VW no problems :)

Cheers guys will get it on the ramps and have a good snoop around where you said

sounds like the water pump to me, it is on the passenger side of the block, when the crack pipe leaks it is usually the elbow that comes off for the oil cooler which is more in the middle of car and infront of the motor, and the oil cooler is righ under it. So if it is leaking more towards the passenger side, i would say water pump, center crack pipe or oil cooler and driver side would be the thermostat housing. The water pump is by far the easiest to change too

I've got a similar leak after replacing the crackpipe and oil cooler hoses last year. I am suspecting it is a bad seal on the crackpipe, so will be stripping the front end (again!) to take a look.

Thalove, I'm guessing you are in the US or have a LHD Corrado? Which is why you say the water pump is passenger side of the block? :)