sharpy-vr6

Race/ track days?

Hi

I haven't been on here in a while. Really since taking my corrado of the road.

Anyway I have come to the conclusion I would like to use my corrado for track days and racing, rather then let it rust and die in a scrapheap

Anyway this comes to my main point. I have never participated in a track day before and do not own a race licence. So I would like some advice from anyone on here who does a lot of track days/ races who could help get me started and pointed in the right direction?

:) :)

the majority of ones dont need a race license, castle combe and abingdon air field i know both dont require one, also open days at silver stone is, the thing is you need a race license to race, but the majority of the events (mentioned above) are technically not race days, they are "track days" in other words you can drive round the track but not race, Although people do. Its one of those funny ones.

So to get a good eye and feel track days like those above would be a good stomping ground?

How about requirements for the car? Do they need to be road worthy ie; taxed, mot, emissions and sound?

As my corrado is currently stripped and I plan to put harnesses and a race seat in and keep it off the road?

So to get a good eye and feel track days like those above would be a good stomping ground?

How about requirements for the car? Do they need to be road worthy ie; taxed, mot, emissions and sound?

As my corrado is currently stripped and I plan to put harnesses and a race seat in and keep it off the road?

that one im not 100% i only know what i do as ive been looking more and more into them, im aware there are alot of clubs you can register with and they send you invitations to all the track days and some even cover your car, best place to start from what ive heard though is air fields, as if you go "off track" the worst you will do is hit a cone, whereas on a track track your likely to hit a barrier and face the brunt of the repair charges not only for your car but also the track.

Ive done a few over the years. Most places are just book a place then turn up, show your license then off you go. No timings involved as then technically it would be a competition which then brings in all other liabilites.

There good fun, main thing is to make sure of on your car is good cooling, good tyres and most of all good brakes. The brakes are the first things that go off. Usually need a helmet or you can rent one. Take a few tools if you have them and some spare oil/water.

http://www.trackdays.co.uk iirc. They list most of uk and some European trackdays. I've done quite a lot, and hold a race licence.

If you're new to it, try to get on a novice day first and book some tuition. There's no insurance on track unless you buy some, but most don't bother.

Your car needs to be roadworthy and either have an MOT, capable of passing one or be able to pass scrutineering. Have a search for the blue book, it's got all the regs.

Thanks that's perfect I will have a little look.

So I'm guessing without an mot the car will have to go through scrutineering?

In that scenario do not standards apply? For example would I need a suitable cat? And would small details such as wipers? Small perishes in cv boot rubbers?

I understand if you don't know just trying to get as much information together before getting started

They don't tend to check your car unless it looks a bit of a shed ;)

However, the stresses you put on a car on track are far in excess of those you can on the road - no matter how fast you think you drive on the road. Looking at you location I'm guessing you might want to try Brands Hatch, if you were to do the Indy circuit you'll be braking from over 100mph to approx 30mph every minute. If your brakes aren't in tip top condition with some racey pads you'll have fade in a few laps and in the gravel after that :)

So, as I said before, the car needs to be MOT-able, but in reality it needs to be better than that.

Oh, they don't check for cats, but the car does need to pass noise regs - usually about 98dB.

Look at it this way, would you be happy in a car that you dont feel is in good condition? As said they might even just give you a form that you sign to say your car is in a suitable condition therefore if something happens they have evidence that you deemed your car in a suitable condition.

Concetrate on ensuring your car is well maintained mechanically.

There is no scrutineering (at any track day I've done). All they are interested in is that you meet their noise regs. Neither are they interested in the certification of your lid (motorbike lid normally seems fine for the have-a-go-heroes) and your car won't need an MOT/tax/as mentioned there is no insurance. They may want you to have covered arms and legs.

The Blue Book is not relevant unless you're racing.

The simple rule for whether you should do a track day is: don't risk anything you're not prepared to lose in a moment.

As people have said service and check over the car thoroughly. Make sure your wheel bearings are all good. Change brake fluid and make sure there's plenty of meat in the pads. Also make sure your motor is continent for oil and water (no one likes dropped fluids as they cause accidents!).

Don't go for super-fandango racing fluid etc - just flush the right spec of new fluid through the system - use cheap as poss - new cheap fluid is much better than expensive fluid that went in 6-12 months ago.

I would avoid fitting a 'race seat' and harnesses, because to make it safer than the 3-point belt and OEM seat you need a cage with harness bars as well as a shell seat and 5/6 point harnesses. If you want to go crazy buy a CG lock for your existing belt to give you a bit more 'security' in your seat. Harnesses bolted down to rear belt mounts will crush your spine in an accident.

Oh, try somewhere with lots of run-off to start - Bedford might be a good call. I've done a lot of days at Combe and love it, but 25% of track accidents in the UK happen at Quarry!

If you have time/budget I would also recommend getting -2 degrees of camber on the front of the car - it'll turn in a lot sharper and you won't trash the outer shoulders of your tyres.

Oh and make sure you get rid of any clutter in the cabin before you go out on track - it's all missiles in the event of an off.

If you want a video camera in the car be prepared to have it on a strap AND the mount, or have it double ziptied to something - track day organisers don't much like them either!