Mrbaldhead

Breakdown Cover

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with breakdown companies and which is the best price and service wise as I have a feeling breakdown cover is a very good idea.

Also how reliable have people found VR6's for instance have you ever broken down at the side of the road, if so how often or are these engines fairly reliable and bullet proof, mine has done 140,000 miles since 1995.

Thanks.

If you opt for a Classic Car policy they usually include very comprehensive breakdown insurance cover. My current policy includes homestart, basic roadside repairs, breakdown and vehicle repatriation all for less than £140. I have yet to use it and hopefully never will :)

There are usually age restrictions on classic car policy's though aren't there, considering I am only 19? That's a very good price and good good so VR6's engine wise are usually fairly reliable?

What insurance company is that ??

BTW I used to be wit AA and have a good and bad experience. Now I bought the cheapest possible for I could find on gocompare, same service for 1/4 of the AA price

My previous experience with breakdown cover ,linked to insurance is not good . Im not saying their all bad . I had one come out to me when the car failed to start , he had a clip board in one hand and stuck a pen round the engine with the other . His answer was ''i think its electrical where do you want the car to go ?''.Not a great diognosis !!. I am now with the AA . I broke down a while back and the bloke tried as much as he could to sort it out , he was with the car for around 2 hours . Cant say fairer than that .

Rob

If you opt for a Classic Car policy they usually include very comprehensive breakdown insurance cover. My current policy includes homestart, basic roadside repairs, breakdown and vehicle repatriation all for less than £140. I have yet to use it and hopefully never will :)

HIC, only downside is that I am limited to 2k miles. Their quote started at £180 but they came down to beat my renewal with Classic line.

I'm just with the AA the one time it broke down (air filter came unplugged) I was assigned an AA man who used to own a C. He followed me home to make sure all was fine and raved about seeing the spoiler rising :D

Can't say I've had issues with the AA but I've only ever had to call them a few times in 12 years. I would feel better with a breakdown company who had "classic" experience though, I will look at classic insurance this year but in the mean time I'd say breakdown cover is a must.

AA have always been great for me. I know some people have horror stories about the various breakdown companies (including the AA), but Ive only ever been treated courteously and reasonably quickly by them. Cant recall ever having to wait more than an hour for assistance, usually sorted by the side of the road. Only once had to be recovered and they dont quibble at the distance. However, with new regulations they may be only able to transport part of journey before having to offload for another patrol. Tachos etc..

I also have the mechanical breakdown insurance and the one time I had to use it the AA were excellent, paid most of repair bill and very pleasant to deal with.

Another vote for the AA here - I've tried others over the years but the AA have far better diagnosis kit and also access to Dealer parts if a car breaks down under warranty etc. Considering they don't really cost anymore the service is superb.

The only hassle with the AA is dealing with them at renewal time. They always give you a ludicrous renewal price, then you have to hassle them on the phone to get it down to a sensible level.

I ended up taking out one of those packages with my bank where you pay an account fee but get AA cover, mobile insurance, etc - it probably doesn't work out any cheaper than getting the cover direct from the AA but it does mean not having to go through that crap every year, so worthwhile in my book!

I've been with RAC for 6 years now and due a renewal next month. Haven't called them out this year so we'll see if the renewal premium includes a no call-out discount but I'll be on the phone to haggle it down anyway :)

When I have called them out in the past it's mostly been for my van and they've always sent someone who knows what he's doing with older vehicles.

Last call-out on the Corrado was on the way to Stealth last year when the fan controller gave up. The RAC man hooked up a stage 2 bypass and followed me from the Coventry bypass to Southam :)

The only hassle with the AA is dealing with them at renewal time. They always give you a ludicrous renewal price, then you have to hassle them on the phone to get it down to a sensible level.

I ended up taking out one of those packages with my bank where you pay an account fee but get AA cover, mobile insurance, etc - it probably doesn't work out any cheaper than getting the cover direct from the AA but it does mean not having to go through that crap every year, so worthwhile in my book!

Yeah I must admit that's where the let themselves down and don't offer a NCD...

I just let mine lapse every year and take out a new policy via Quidco or Topcashback - this years policy cost me £12 after cashback!

AA have always been great for me. I know some people have horror stories about the various breakdown companies (including the AA), but Ive only ever been treated courteously and reasonably quickly by them. Cant recall ever having to wait more than an hour for assistance, usually sorted by the side of the road. Only once had to be recovered and they dont quibble at the distance. However, with new regulations they may be only able to transport part of journey before having to offload for another patrol. Tachos etc..

I also have the mechanical breakdown insurance and the one time I had to use it the AA were excellent, paid most of repair bill and very pleasant to deal with.

I just got a quote for mechanical breakdown for my Corrado £15.21 a month. I'm wondering if it's worth taking it! I'll have to read up on what it covers but I expected more than that for a 20 year old car.

I did the same as Jim and opted for the value for money option and used my Bank account, Halifax is £10 a month and you get breakdown cover (Which I've used twice, AA were amzing both times) Mobile phone cover (Which I used when the air hostess on Easyjet stole my Iphone), travel insurance, plus some other suff I can't remember.