emu

Clutch gone ??

I'll try to describe problem as good as possible :)

I can't do any road millage as car still not insured but was taking it of my garage today and had exactly same problem as on a day I bought it.

I can put first or reverse gear in (driving out or off garage) and I'm starting releasing clutch pedal not adding any acceleration. After I release about 1/3 of full length of clutch pedal engine stalls. You need to accelerate to avoid stalling an you had to be very careful no letting clutch go to fast as it will stall again. In all Corrado's I had before you could easily drive off without any usage of acceleration pedal.

Any suggestions before I'll take gearbox out to fit new clutch.

Doesn't sound like a clutch to me, the problem would normally be not disengaging if the slave cylinder had gone, i.e. Not being able to get into gear, or slipping if the friction plate was worn, my golf had your symptoms with a vacuum leak on the inlet side, but that was with a motorised DBW throttle body, so it compensated at idle and kept it idling ok until you put it under any kind of load. Any noises, smells or clutch pedal weirdness?

Could be a master cylinder fault, sticking/deformed seals. It will work on the way down but as you release, it sticks then frees off and engages the clutch with a bang. Just an idea? . . . What did you do the first time to 'cure it?'

Doesn't sound like a clutch to me, the problem would normally be not disengaging if the slave cylinder had gone, i.e. Not being able to get into gear, or slipping if the friction plate was worn, my golf had your symptoms with a vacuum leak on the inlet side, but that was with a motorised DBW throttle body, so it compensated at idle and kept it idling ok until you put it under any kind of load. Any noises, smells or clutch pedal weirdness?

My pcv valve is definitely gone, all glued up with silicone.

I know it's hard to tell anything without driving it. Just looking for ideas if anybody had similar problems and their solutions.

Could be a master cylinder fault, sticking/deformed seals. It will work on the way down but as you release, it sticks then frees off and engages the clutch with a bang. Just an idea? . . . What did you do the first time to 'cure it?'

Worth looking at. Thanks. Car has 160k miles btw.

Hmmmm, I think every car I've ever owned has stalled if you try to pull away without giving it some gas..... Unless I'm missing something here guys?

Any car with electronic injection will usually creep forward at idle in gear, even uphill, the ecu compensates for load and adds a little more fuel, even a mk2 Digifant golf will do this.

Hmmmm, I think every car I've ever owned has stalled if you try to pull away without giving it some gas..... Unless I'm missing something here guys?

No, all cars should go if you release clutch slowly. Especially diesel cars or big engined petrol cars. When I had my allroad 2.7t I wery rarely used first gear. Mostly second to drive off. It had so much torque and elasticity in engine.