Sign in to follow this  
scottgroovez

G60 PAS Pump - collapsed bearing

What would the causes for a collapsed bearing in a PAS pump?

Overtight belt?

Wrong / low fluid?

Airlock in system?

The reason I ask is that I replaced the fluid in my PAS system for the G 002 0000 (VAG stuff) and after a few miles the pump started knocking. Checked the level and it had dropped below "MIN", topped it up and after a few seconds of running the fluid was pouring out of the hole in the resevoir cap. Turned it off and fluid was leaking from the pump. Removed the pump and the bearing has collapsed.

So I want to know what would cause this as so to prevent it happening again!

Also, can the bearing be replaced or is it new pump time?

Cheers,

Scott

What engine are we talking here? Don't think it makes any odds tbh as they're all sealed units I think.

Overtight belts isn't possible on the VR6, but it is on the valver and G60....... that is one reason for a collapsed bearing, as is dry running it, old age etc etc.

They're not cheap new, so check out the scrapyards first!

Edit - Just noticed the engine type in the post title, doh!

What length is the belt you were running? - the reason I ask is that VAG are the only ones who sell the correct length belt by Gates as its branded VW :roll:

The Bosch one that GSF sell are way too short 650mm instead of 673 IIRC :x

Thread revival....

But for my 1.8 16v

Was driving along on saturday, noticed a kind of whirring noise for a bit everytime i accellerated. All of sudden, louuuuuud loud loud whirring screeeching sound, and the smell of burning rubber left my engine pay pouring with stink. Did this a couple of times (was trying to carefully drive it home), until the PAS belt snapped. I'm not sure what exactly caused it - my hydraulic oil was a little under minimum level, so i'm assuming this caused the bearing to cease, thus causing the pulley not to rotate? Can anyone confirm this or give ideas?

Am i looking at a whole new pump? I take it the bearings alone can't be changed? I ask because the pump was replaced last summer. Thankfully, it has a years warranty. Tis a right fiddly bastid to replace