Sign in to follow this  
ipk

changing the radiator type

i am thinking of swapping the small corrado g60 rad for a corrado vr6 or golf rallye item.

has anyone tried this, and if so with what results? or should i just go for an oil cooler kit to try and bring the oil temps down.

cheers for that, was only thinking of running the g60 fan anyway.

might go for the oil cooler route instead then.

It should fit as the second fan is slaved off the main one via a belt, so is very shallow, but I'm guessing!

Kev

94 VR6

cheers for that, was only thinking of running the g60 fan anyway.

might go for the oil cooler route instead then.

but how you gonna mount a G60 fan housing to a Vr rad? the g60 housing is smaller.

i think one fan does run off the other i'd need to check

Why not use the VR6 rad and fan housing? It's really shallow due to the tiny clearance from the manifold to slam panel. The slave fan is only about 2cms deep, so should offer enough clearance? Is the gap between the G60 and the rad tight then?

Cheers

Kev

Why not use the VR6 rad and fan housing? It's really shallow due to the tiny clearance from the manifold to slam panel. The slave fan is only about 2cms deep, so should offer enough clearance? Is the gap between the G60 and the rad tight then?

Cheers

Kev

lets just say that the G60 never had a massive rad to start with :wink:

Does the G60 have both it's radiator hoses on the gearbox side? If not, the VR rad won't work unless you make custom hoses.

The other alternative is an external oil cooler but it can be a chore to fit, plus you need to avoid a big pressure drop as well, otherwise the G Lader bearings won't thank you for it.

Kev

okay been out to look at my G60 it appears that i have a rather larger rad than i thought Doh maybe cos its cos i've got A/C and you need a bigger rad as the AC rad sits in front of it.

so here is a pic of my rad mount on the left hand side just above the headlight, you can clearly see that there is now was you'd get the second rad fan in but you should be able to get the rad in, Now i dont know if it will fit to the earlier model, as im not sure if the mounts are the same

You could aways fit a vr6 rad and run 2 pacet electric fans without the need to use the cowling which would foul on the g charger. here's a couple of pics of the one I have just bought of john at PD as you can see it is much thinner than the standard g60 fan but it has a better flow rate than the standard one it will also give me some vital space as I can do away with the cowling which takes up so much room. anyway here's the pics.

Just got to make the brackets for it now!! the dimensions of the fan by the way are 11"x 2" which is considerably less than the standard fan with cowling

nigel that looks like you got a rallye rad in there mate! mabee the lhd g60's all used the same rad as it is deftinatly bigger than a rhd g60 rad!! :lol:

oh no you dont just didn't notice them holes in it before!!

look at this pic then and you can see the std rhd rad mounts mate much futher inwards

interesting, thanks for the replies much food for thought there.

i have found that i can buy a new vr rad for about £87, but the rallye one is nearer £150. decisions decisions

according to etka the different rad are for different climate conditions and the extra you have

All AC cars have the big rad

all Autos have the big rad etc etc

all hot climate cars have big rads

Looked last night