guildmage

drove through water now car will not start - need advice (stupid me!)

Hi, on my way back home we had 20 mins of torrential rain. There was so much water everywhere that I didn't see a big puddle which in turn created waterfall effect and flooded whole car (outside, no water inside as I can see it). It's not as bad as it sound and I was able to drive for another 200-300m without any problems but when turning in into my street I've noticed that idle was a bit erratic. Thought some water must have got somewhere so revved it little bit for a while and tried idle again. Then, car cut off and would not start again. I have tried few times, it seem to turn but will not start. Also my exhaust makes a loud "boom" after few secs of cranking. So decided not to try again...

I have it back on my driveway now. My big question is... have I just killed my car? Is it safe to attempt to start the car? Is it better to wait a day or so, so it can dry properly. Is there anything else I can do meanwhile. Please help as I'm sick worried I've done something terrible to it.

Been quickly checking Google, and lots of stories of people flooded the engine and that was the end of the car, etc... Perfect start for a long holiday ehh. If you guys have any advice I would much appreciate any help on this.

Sounds most likely water in electrics Lucasz.remove your dissy cap,dry out & have a good spray around with with Wd40

Thanks, it's getting dark now plus more rain coming as it seems. I will leave it as is and will work on it in the morning.

Agree with harrier, to kill the car you need to suck water in through the intake and hydrolock it. Sounds unlikely from your anecdote. Dry everything out, dizzy or coilpack as appropriate and worth pulling the plugs and making sure there's no water in there either. Bit of WD40 and you should be good to go.

Mine went rough as hell after driving slushy winter roads in Scotland once, turned out to be water in the connector for the crank position sensor.

There's a connector block at the front of the engine quite low down below the thermostat housing, it's quite exposed and with age probably not as water resistant as it used to be.

I died it out with a hairdryer, sprayed a bit off wd40 in it and it instantly solved the problem

Agree with everyone else, did the same with my first valver - Just dry the dizzy cap and spray with WD40 and it should start fine and then let it run for a while?

Ian.

Happened in one of my old valvers too :( as above make sure dizzy is dry, but also check out the air box. Mine was full of water. I removed the sensor from the side of it- wing side from memory. Lots of wd40. The car would drive with the sensor unplugged, although it was horrible! I drove it for a couple of hours, which dried everything out properly. Plugged sensor back in and it was perfect again ;)

Thanks very much guys! I did exactly as you said. Removed dizzy and rotor arm, cleaned up + WD40 and it works again.

I did notice my dizzy and rotor arm have seen better days so will replace that shortly and air filter while I'm at it. (Can I just get this bits from EurocarParts or is it better to go with some other place?).

I have a footage of what happened last night: (something is not right with sound as there is lots of crackling so it's hard to hear engine properly)