Sign in to follow this  
hutchyvw

g60 brakes on a 16v

I'm due for replacing the front disks and pads on my 1990 1.8 16v and was wondering if i buy g60 discs and pads will i then just need a set of g60 calipers and i'm done??

Or are there other bits i would need??

Whats a 'good' price for a set of g60 front calipers, so i don't get shafted if i have to go to a vw breaker rather than buying private??

Thanks in advance :)

HHHEEEEELLLLLOOOOOO :(

I,ve just been told that the mk3 gti front calipers are the same, much easier to find too.

Got a price all in at £170 that's second hand calipers with new drilled discs and fast road pads.

Sorted, thanks for all your help :wink:

What you need are calipers, carriers and pads from a vr6/g60 and the disks from a g60.

Ive got everything except the disks for sale if you wanna make me an offer? (If you havent already bought the other kit.)

Click the link in my sig.

VR6, phat rado,

So i can put Mark 3 Gti calipers on my 16 v hubs and my G60 discs will fit in...??

Does it have to be a Gti mark 3 16v...?? or 8v...?? If theres a differance

And what pads would i need to buy..??

Cheers

Pretty sure you can use 8v or 16v, just make sure the discs are 280mm diameter. Make sure the callipers are of the same design as your originals and you can use G60 discs and pads. You will need the carriers to as the new callipers will be wider than your originals.

I did this mod a few months ago although it helps a bit, don't expect a huge difference in breaking.

As far as I know this is how it goes.....but please correct me if I am wrong, as I hate not being sure about it!

16v rado, mk2 golf 16v 88> - 256mm discs, 4 stud

G60/VR6 rado, Mk3golf 16v - 280mm discs, 4 stud/5stud

mk3 golf vr6 - 288mm discs, 5 stud

so if you want to upgrade from 256 to 280, then you need to get calipers, carriers, and pads from any, and discs from the g60. If you are buying new discs and pads, just quote your car as a g60 corrado!

andycowuk,

Sounds good but the bloke still problery wouldn't know what a G60 is..........well thats the case where i live !!!!!

Well GSF knew what a G60 was, get G60 pads to match the G60 discs. When I converted mine I got Mk3 16v pads which have the same back plate design but the friction material is not as thick, I think the Golf's discs are thicker. Ended up having to go back to GSF to get them swapped.

Peter, they do look better - mine are drilled too!

Phil,

Affraid mine aren't drilled .......get the piller drill on them .......JOKE

Can't see them through my standard wheels anyway ....not yet