northG60

G60 total loss of power and lumpy idle now unable to start

Hello all sorry for the long post lol

bit annoyed im having to do this, mine has been pretty reliable running recently and after no advisories on its mot I thought I was in for a good year:(

so on Friday I drove to work in the morning and everything was behaving as normal on the drive home that evening it felt a little off but I put that down to being crawling in traffic and getting heat soaked decided to leave it overnight

Went for a 3 mile dive up to BnQ for some paint and essentially I had no power on boost my inlet boost gauge was reading boost over 12 psi easily but the car was just not on boost not even slightly so I limped back home and the exhaust was poping on deceleration (overfueling?) and the idle when stopped for lights ect was awefull ... it was getting slower and slower until eventually as I literally turned into my street it totally gave up and stalled and ive not been able to get it started since

Now I read a little into I and I tried swapping over the CO2 POT from another g60 to no success

I have spark at the plugs its only had the magnecore leads coil and completely new bosch distributor within the last three months

I can hear my fuel pump come on when ignition is engaged I evan have fuel up to the fuel line in the pic below? so the pump is working

I have checked my ECU huse and while it doesn't look too clever its not split or in a bad way

My fuel pump relay is new from VW two years ago

Blue temp sensor from VW two years ago

where should I turn my attention too next? blocked fuel injectors ? dodgey FPR?

Edited by northG60

Thats the bottom right one behind the drivers wheel ? its too dark right now for me too see anything so ill check tomorrow eve ....im scared now lol what should be I looking for ? or will it be very obvious? all my belts are still attached ?

Right so I got the drivers wheel off and had a quick look ?

not quite sure what im looking for ?

any other ideas?

im scared now lol

Lol, sorry mate I have just thought of the worst case scenario that's all. It's hard to tell if there's anything amiss by looking at the pics, but it's pretty obvious that the crank bolt has probably never been replaced. They can tend to fatigue/snap/become loose causing timing issues and much worse. I'd advise that you have the bolt replaced for peace of mind either way. (Available from Vw and an easy job for a mechanic with the right tools/torque setting)

There could still be an issue here that isn't showing up, but ideally you'd need the car running, as one thing to look for is a 'wobble' on the pulley. What you can do while the car is not running is to line up all of the timing marks which may put your mind at rest as far as a possible pulley/crank bolt issue. (Although it doesn't completely rule it out)

If all seems OK there, then it may be worth looking at something like the hall sender/dizzy as popping on deceleration would tend to be timing/ignition related on a G60.

See pics for timing marks, line up by turning your crank.

so ive just ordered a new ECU hose from OCD so i'll try that and hope

I don't think it will be the hall sender as I have only just had my distributor (Whole unit bosch) with its new hall sender housed on it

if its not the ECU hose im out of ideas :( so i'll get it down to my garage and get them to look into the crankshaft pully and probably get it done with a fresh cambelt aswell even if its not the actual issue just for piece of mind

this is gay I was planning a road trip lol

I know you said the blue temp sensor is 2 years old, but it could be the culprit. If it's disconnected the car won't start, if it's faulty you will most likely have the same problem, but hopefully it's the ECU hose.

Regardless of the above, If it's been over fuelling, check your spark plugs, they are probably nicely sooted up, use an emery board (nick a used one from your wife/girlfriend), and gently get the spark plugs shiny again.

well Riley you were right

It was the crankshaft pully bolt :( it jumped twelve teeth and the cam is 90 deg out :(

my keyway has a nick out on it and as it stands I have no idea the state of my valves pistons etc. but its not really looking good for me, probably new engine time

im absolutely devistated this car has fought me every step of the way and now this.......

Ah sh!t mate, sorry to hear that.:( Depending on the state of the end of the crank (And assuming you haven't any valve/piston/bore damage), you could possibly look at having it 'Pinned' / 'Pinning it'. But then again, I don't think a PG block/complete lump are a fortune these days.

Hope you can manage to sort it as easily as possible.