Sign in to follow this  
Nick_Micouris

moving steering wheel but can't get it dead centre!

I just can't seem to get my steering wheel dead level anymore.

Recently I had ain inner CV boot replaced and since then the steering wheel was positioned to the left.

Then I had the car tracked and the guy said it wasn't far off and moved the wheel.

I then had it tracked by Elite in Essex but it made little difference (they did tell me that my caster was a little out) so I moved my steering wheel to the right.

Now it is a bit far to the right....Any ideas - or am I just too much of a perfectionist? :roll:

Would it be easier to leave the steering wheel and rotate the rest of the car :?:

Is it pulling to the side at all, or is it just the steering wheel that's not central?

Yeah, different castor from one side to the other of the car will result in it pulling over to one side permanently.

what can be done about it? Is it old age? It is wierd - the car has never had any knocks and the tyres don;t wear out unevenly/ nor do I get wobbly steering.

Any ideas where to start looking for culprits?

If the castor is slightly out (depends how slightly) you're looking at wishbones - bushes or the wishbone itself. If there's genuinely been no knocks, then chances are the wishbones themselves will be straight, but they *can* bend if kerbed etc. Otherwise it's probably the bushes or the ball joints.

I'm not sure how Castor is measured (never seen it done), but I'm guessing it could also be caused by badly worn top mounts.

I should say - if it's only slightly out, and you're not overly irritated by the pulling-to-one-side I wouldn't bother with it. There's much bigger problems the rest of us are trying to fix to come!!

I should say - if it's only slightly out, and you're not overly irritated by the pulling-to-one-side I wouldn't bother with it. There's much bigger problems the rest of us are trying to fix to come!!
Yeah - I bet :roll: will have a look just to get an idea but will leave it until the day the shocks need doing I think. Thanks! :)