dylan0451

Looking for some advice...

Hi guys,

I have an M reg VR6. It has had some upgrade quality boge gas dampers put on it at some point.

The problem I have is, it's rock hard at low speeds, and turns into a boat at high speeds. I think it has the original springs on it - I can easily fit my fist between rear arch and tyre, and after changing all top mounts the clearance is even worse!

I bought the Weitec ultra GT kit last year, which was a disaster - The part numbers were correct, but I could crush the springs coilbound just by bouncing my bodyweight on them. As such, the -40mm advertised lowering turned into bumpstop lowering and the car was awful.

As such, once bitten etc. etc.

I've been looking at the bilstein B12 kit -25mm but I'm nervous of having a rock hard setup.

I just want a subtle amount of lowering and a comfy, damped ride, but I can't find anything sold as a matched set.

Someone on here mentioned fitting early standard VR6 suspension is a 10mm drop, though I can't find the thread...

Any advice?

Yeah that's what you get from Boge dampers unfortunately.

Forget comfy, it's not going to happen on a Corrado. It's all about finding a happy medium.

Is your VR6 still on the original 15s? If so, the B12 kit should be the best compromise. Bilstein dampers are pretty firm as a rule, but the more you live with them, the more come to realise just how consistent the damping performance is, come winter, summer, rain or shine. You won't get anything better for that kind of money.

I would also replace any worn / tired bushes in the chassis, in particular replacing the wishbone bushes with R32 ones.

Hi Kev,

I mean comfy as an 80's/90's vw is going to be, I appreciate it's not a derv Mercedes etc.

I've had a couple mk2 sciroccos I put upgraded damper/spring combos on and they were fine, I'm just so surprised I have landrover clearance and high speed road manners, mixed with low speed comfort of an F1 car!

I have the original 5 spoke wheels, thinking about getting them re-powdercoated actually, I was thinking about going up to 55% profile tyres to try to fill the arches and soften the ride a little.

I've already fitted R32 wishbones with the upgraded bushes, as well as the top mounts all round.

I like the sound of the Bilstein kit, was I right in my earlier statement of thinking that there is a 10mm drop to be had by fitting early standard parts?

I think 55 profile 15s will look a bit silly and also give some pretty soggy cornering past 7 tenths!

The early VR6s do seem to sit a bit lower but I don't think there are different p/ns for early and late suspension parts, apart from the front spring top plate, which is bigger than the late one.

I loved the ride of a friends Corrado on a koni coilover setup, thought it would be hard but it was really good and offered a good range of height options, after that I've been pleased with adjustable koni dampers and eibach spring combination myself, but top end bilstein stuff has been a good bet for decades. It took me a few years myself to realise cheap dampers and springs are false economy and actually a big mistake!

As always some great comments and advise.

What would this be like,fitting standard new shocks and a set of good quality lowering springs on the car and what handling and ride would be the end result.

i have been thinking of this for a while myself but not sure what to do.

Just don't want to end up making any mistakes.

No offence Dylan.

As always some great comments and advise.

What would this be like,fitting standard new shocks and a set of good quality lowering springs on the car and what handling and ride would be the end result.

i have been thinking of this for a while myself but not sure what to do.

Just don't want to end up making any mistakes.

No offence Dylan.

You'll achieve best results if the springs and dampers are matched together. Infact, to achieve the best handling and comfort the springs/dampers/bushes/tyres/geometry all needs to work in harmony together.

The main problem with putting shortened/uprated springs onto the regular OE dampers is that the damper will be working in a "travel" range it's not designed to work in. Also, the spring could dislodge as being shorter it will not be under any tension when the load is taken off the wheel(s).

Edited by DriverVR6

No offence taken Ray!

I get the impression the dampers I have at the moment are designed for stiffer springs, hence the rubbish characteristics.

After the disaster of suspension change last year, I have both types of top mount for the front, perhaps it's there that the raise came from on the later models, as the top retaining cup is of larger diameter and I presume higher.

I've been looking on VW heritage, euro car parts etc. the usuals for a 'standard' setup but nothing is sold as a matched set, and as before, I'm not inclined to use lowering springs on mis matched dampers.

I put 'sport' springs on an M3 I had, with the standard dampers and it ruined the ride, kinda the opposite of the issue I have here!

Unless anyone else has suggestions, the B12 kit seems the way to go for near standard, minimal drop suspension?