swiftkid

Screeching Noise (R32 engine, VR6 gearbox)

Hey all, I'm doing an R32 conversion to my rado at the moment, using the VR6 gearbox. I fired it up over the weekend and to my delight it fired up (after a bit of faffing with fuel filter), unfortunately my delight was short lived after it started making a horrible screeching noise.

The scenario goes, I span the engine over without the ECU plugged in for a while to make sure their was oil around the engine, no noise, fired it up and the screeching starts, raise the revs slightly (don't know what rpm as the tacho doesn't seem to be working) and the noise almost stops. Its not a constant noise like a bearing, I've had my ear next to the sump and turned it over by hand and there seems to be a creaking noise coming from the sump but its only a faint noise and obviously could just be echoing something from further up.

I've had the rocker cover off and it doesn't seem to be filled with as much oil as I'd expect, usually the head bolts are filled to the top with oil but they are only half full. But I havn't ran it for longer than about 20-30 seconds. It doesn't knock so tells me it may not be the bottom end. At the moment without starting to rip the engine apart properly I'm drawn towards starter motor and oil pump, anyone got any other ideas? I do need to check clutch release bearing but its not a whiring noise and was fine last year in my gearbox

I've taken the belt off and tried that so should have taken water pump and pas out of the equation

A bit of Googling and I stumbled across a thread that said something about the PCV being a known weak spot on the R32 and indeed there was a recall on them to replace / fix them. Wondering if you've got a faulty one?

*edit*

Nevermind - this is on a petrol turbo FSI engine, not the R32. Damn internet :)

Hehe, that would be nice but sounds more metallic screeching than just plastic or belt slipping. Been speaking to a couple of people that think it could be starter

On the oil level that you mentioned, as long as you have the level correct on the dipstick, it should be ok (assuming you have the right dipstick for the sump you are using).

My thoughts were also on the starter motor; maybe the pinion is not disengaging from the flywheel properly.

Best wishes

RB

Very unlikely to be the oil pump. 20-30 seconds of running isn't long enough to fill the head with oil but the fact oil is getting up there at all is clue enough the pump is fine. If it wasn't, you'd be getting a god awful racket from the bottom and top ends of the engine.

Is the tin dustcover fitted to the bellhousing? I've had that touching the flywheel as it was slightly bent. Screamed like a banshee..

Not sure if this will work as I'm on my Mobile but this is a video from tonight, had the starter motor out and seems fine, checked the rear tensioner and that seems spongy, not like the vr6 tensioner so might need replacing.

I turned the engine over, didn't even bother firing it up as I reckon this is the noise, seems to be coming from bottom end/gearbox. Anyone any ideas?

If it doesn't work here is the direct link http://vid6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/swiftkid/Mobile%20Uploads/VIDEO0006_zps9e1ba08f.mp4

Edited by swiftkid

The chain tensioner (if that's what you meant) is supposed to be spongy. It's spring loaded (as well as hydraulic) on the 24Vs to prevent tooth skipping before the oil pressure has built up, which was a problem on the old hydraulic only 12V tensioner.

Can't play the clip as I'm at work.

Yea that's the one I was talking about. I don't know whether to try running it for that bit longer to try get oil pumped all round or start stripping stuff down. I just don't get why when I raise the revs the noise goes away. Next steps are to bleed the clutch fully so I can rule out gearbox, then drop oil to check for swarf and maybe even remove sump. I'm almost tempted to try running it that little longer to make sure oil is warmed and round the engine properly

In the video I'm sat underneath the engine so sounds pretty bad anyway, but it's the squeaking/creaking noise I'm taking about

Edited by swiftkid