jimcarp

Because everyone loves a silly question

Hey up everyone,

Because internal micrometres are so expensive, well if not used very often. Was just wondering if there is any way of checkin bores for ovalness. Like diy styley. Obv engine shop and i know it is very critical but just thought i'd throw this out there and see how many people laugh at me.

Thanks in advance, Jim

You can get a bore gauge for £70. They're made specifically for that task, so why use any other method at that price?

Thanks, i know there not crazy money but thats still a lot with the pittance i get paid, baby on the way and a girlfriend that has been moaning since day one of rebuild, violins n all that. Could justify if was to use on a regular but for 1 off, spose could sell on after. Just wondered if there where any secrets i'd yet to stumble on that all.

Thanks again yeah!

If you just want a rough guide cut a length of soft alloy (so as not to mark the bores) to length with sharpened ends (like a pencil) and gently rounded tips.

Cheers Dox, was thinking something similar with a strip off clear plastic. Mark the overlap n then at least have rough idea, doubt will be accurate enough tho!? I have 2 abv blocks so re bore is a no go, hoping a light hone is all that is needed on one of them. Am i that lucky... We shall see.

Thanks guys

Why not just take both blocks to the engineering co and ask them to check both blocks and hone the best?

In another thread Kevin Bacon said VR blocks have to be honed in a certain way to prevent oil burning so it may be advisable to seek out someone who knows these engines?

Sorry about your financial woes chap. Been there, got the shirt, but I didn't bother with the babies though!

Personally speaking a bore gauge is the best method but if the budget is miniscule, I wouldn't bother going down this road at all as rebuilding a VR6 can get expensive! Maybe try and find a decent low mileage lump on ebay, even if it's just a 2.8?

Right, as my phone doesn't let me reply with quote this is going to be 1 mega message lol. Dox i know and anyone with a bit of sence would do. Problem i have is that one of my engines is still in one dpiece in my car. Would prefer to keep it like that if i can. Ease of storage mainly. Plus and i'm sure most of us are the same i have parts of this engine in every room of the house. All my sheds, garden no joke. Even the bathroom! Add another into the mix and well...

Iceviolet, ur da man! Think thats gonna b the one u know. Stoopid i know but kinda wanted to see what the bores are saying before luggin to engine shop.

Mr Kevin, hey don't worry bout it i don't lets face it no cars cheap specially if there old, self inflicted poverty! Kinda come to far for a swap now, knowing my luck i'd only end up with one worse than this! Bin doing bits since nov and thats how i've bin managing, Trying to do it right once and slowly to spread the cost.

Thanks for all your help u guys, v much a big help!!

As its my thread fort i'd chuck couple other questions into the mix. Oil jets in block,is there much to go wrong with them? Mr Bently says to replace but not even mentioned in my book. Obv if need to be replaced then they will but if not prone 2 failing then praps just good clean might be all thats needed!? Final one for now if i can, piston rings. Any recommendations or praps more so any to avoid? Thats again, you guys r wicked!

Why not compare the costs of boring and honing a 2.8 block and using your 2.9 pistons with a hone only one of your blocks?