andygal

Corrado VR6 Gearbox 5th Gear

Hi,

I know it has been covered a lot on here but I am having trouble getting my VR6 into 5th gear. I bought a 2nd hand box from someone on here who said it worked perfectly. Upon fitting it, it seems perfect in every gear but wont go into 5th. I have tried adjusting it and manually putting it into 5th but it just wont go, no matter how hard you try.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks, Andy

Did you use your shift tower on the other gearbox or did it come with one?

Also the shifter mech inside the car. Think that had a few bits that can wear.

It came with one so I used it but replaced the 2 consumable bits.

The shifter mech has been overhauled so dont think it will be that :(

can you select 5gear at the gearbox end try it with the cables connected and off should point you in the right direction as to whats at fault.

Had the same issue with mine about a month ago. The selector tower on the gearbox wouldn't lift up to engage 5th, all the other gears were fine. Managed to find a replacement tower from another forum member and swapped it over.

Its only a couple of bolts to get the tower out, and if you have a good one off your old box it may be an easy thing to try.

I've currently got the same issue with my box although its a 20vt conversion I have no idea what gearbox is in there at the moment.Interested to hear peoples thoughts on this!

easy to tell the type of box are there rods with a round green end cap or cables and a large square black end cap.

i would have thought it's a cable change box that would be standard on a 20v.

i thought vw did a rebuild kit for the tower as i have seen similar problems on the tdi's.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Unfortunatley, it is the same when you try to put it in 5th by hand on the box with the cables detatched. Will try the other shifter tower in it but starting to think its knackered too :(

Shift towers don't live forever unfortunately. They are adjustable and if they are out of adjustment due to wear of the cables or bushes, it just ruins them quickly.

Well driving home today and 5th gear has gone completely :( I have Dave's short shifter fitted also so I don't think it's the shifter

Thanks for all the suggestions. Thankfully it was an easy fix :$ It appears that when I fitted the counter balance I didn't align it properly so it was stopping it from going into 5th.

Appreciate all the help!

Andy