Sign in to follow this  
dtjames

I thought GoodYear F1 tyres were good !

Why does my car squeal when I go round a bend reasonably quickly?

I have brand new F1 tyres on her, and I have checked the tyre pressures.

(Incidentally, the few times this has happened, I am turning to the right)

I have F1s at the front recently, i found out they have much more grip than the avons i had previously.

Can't complain at the F1s on mine.. Maybe the squealing is cos of your tracking being out? It can be steering geometry...

I had 4-wheel alignment done at the same time as 4 F1s fitted.

Should I get the tracking checked over again perhaps? He did say I could go back to have a free check.

Dunno, if it was checked, it's probably ok. What surfaces does it squeal on? It's very odd that it only happens round right-handers..

The F1 GDS1 and GDS2s aren't much cop imo. They squeal because the sidewall is so squishy. Mine squealed too and then luckily one of them developed a bulge in the sidewall, so was a good reason to pull them off and fit something better.

The F1 GSD3s are the ones you want, they are *much* better but they're not available on 205x50x15.

Hopefully GSD3s WILL be available for 205/50/15s by the time I need some more...

Though the squishy sidewall on the GSD2 is quite handy for parallel parking!

No the prounced sidewall with rim protector on my Bridgestones is what you want for parallel parking :wink:

I'll just endorse them one more time cause there is no better on 205/50/15 imo......get some Potenza RE720s :lol:

Pirelli P6000's then :D

I cant believe how good they are.

i had someone tell me they were rubbish.

well my 200+ brake Corrado aint finding them that bad at all

SOOO much GRIP :D:D:D

happy boy me :lol:

205/50/ 15

They squealed on new, hot tarmac both times.

I should mention, I don't drive the car hard as I am one of those people who likes things the way they are. But, as we all know, the car handles fairly well so I was disapointed when I heared the noise.

Incidentally, they are unbeatable wet tyres, and as I live in Wales, they are handy.

Pirelli P6000's then :D

I cant believe how good they are.

i had someone tell me they were rubbish.

well my 200+ brake Corrado aint finding them that bad at all

SOOO much GRIP :D:D:D

happy boy me :lol:

205/50/ 15

I'll second that but they are soft though

After being a manager for a tyre and exhaust company for the last 10 years i cant believe anyone would recommend Pirellis, theyre hopeless compared to the bridgestones or goodyears for that matter, and SOOOOO noisy!! :mad:

After being a manager for a tyre and exhaust company for the last 10 years i cant believe anyone would recommend Pirellis, theyre hopeless compared to the bridgestones or goodyears for that matter, and SOOOOO noisy!! :mad:

Porsche and Ferrari offer Pirelli as a cost option over bridgestone(ferrari) and michelin (porsche). They also won this years and last years performance tyre of the year in Autocar and Autoexpress. They must be better.

G60Jet, yeah, lil soft, but ti helps the ride when your runnin coilovers :lol:

i persume that sticking 195 50's would help being that they are on a std g60 6.5 inch rim

A20 LEE, agre with ya there, pirelli are standard fit too on soo many top quality and performance cars, why would you class them as rubbish??

my mums beemer came with them, and shes stated she wont use anything else since she did try summat alse

I had GSD 2 F1s on my Speedlines and I loved them.

IMHO most good branded tyres are good in the dry, but it's in the wet that you see the major differences, and the F1s were phenomenal in the wet!

Could be the camber settings your car has been set to might not be optimal and/or the tyre pressures are on the low side??

I've always had my VR set up with a fair degree of negative camber (but within factory tolerences). This will scrub the inner shoulder of the tyre a bit, but hell does it help the cornering, especially in the wet!

Again IMHO having correct alignment makes a HUGE difference to the way the car drives.

2p spent........

:D

Doesn't the alignment requirement change if you lower the car, Asim? Certainly if you put stiffer springs on it should change.

Doesn't the alignment requirement change if you lower the car, Asim? Certainly if you put stiffer springs on it should change.

My car has been set up to within factory specs with its lowering and I've had absolutely no problems at all. No excessive tyre/shoulder wear, so i guess if it's set up correctly it's fine?

Probably true. I was just thinking that if the car doesn't roll as much because of stiffer spring rates, it doesn't need as much camber angle.

I note that at the logical extreme (F1 cars) there's almost no detectable camber...

Probably true. I was just thinking that if the car doesn't roll as much because of stiffer spring rates, it doesn't need as much camber angle.

I note that at the logical extreme (F1 cars) there's almost no detectable camber...

You're kidding Matt? You can usually see plenty of -ve camber on the fronts of F1 cars??