graham1971

Water ingress

I noticed yesterday after cleaning the car that there was a lot of water inside the engine bay, on closer exam I couldn't find any sign of any rubber seals or anything similar around the edges of the engine bay or bonnet lip. Are there supposed to be any seals or gaskets around the edge of the bonnet or engine bay to keep water out whilst the bonnet is closed? Seems odd for there not to be one, there was a lot of water on the electrics when I checked.

This does happen Graham . Water runs off the wings and down onto the battery tray and other areas . There's nothing you can do really , just mop it up after your done .its all down to rubbish design and bad water deflection .

Edited by robrado974

Thanks for the offer, the front and rear ones seem in good nick, I was wondering if there were side ones that ran along the wings. Does seem like a pretty obvious design flaw, whoever was responsible for that clearly never lived in Swansea. Looks like I'll have to find an umbrella for my electrics!

Some people fit draught excluder 3m strips along the inner wing edge. It stops the pool of water on the battery. And the battery tray going rusty which is a common problem...

I've done that and run draught excluder down the sides of the wings. It's just a waterproof foam seal about 3-4mm high. Does stop the battery getting wet. Would like to find something clear though. I just did it one day without looks in mind. Used double sided stuff and still have the paper on one side so looks gash.

Seems like a trip to the DIY shops may be in order then. Wonder if any of the other existing seals would fit there and do the job?