VR6 Gar

Were there 2 different types of VR6 steering wheel?

Got a couple of wheels to sell and when I went to take a photo I noticed they were different.

Both were in VRs but only 1 was defo original to the car(left one) so wondered if the one on the right came in G60s/ different models or if there were 2 different types for VRs.

IMG_4105_zps02d89ac1.jpg

It's the poverty one believe they originally came in 16v's though some ended up in VR6's

Have a feel of the both if them too Gar the one on the right has a lot more flex in it

The one on the right seems to be the same as the 16v but you normally see them with a little silver insert rather than black insert at the bottom of the horn push. I'm not convinced that wheel was ever used on the VR6 and perhaps came off a different model of VW all together but I guess we'll never know!

I have one like the one on the right in my VR with a blackberry coloured insert (not that that means it was original of course)

The one on the left is like mine. I have a late 95 VR. I think the left one is from the earlier models VR included.

One of the left is the vr6 one, one on the right came as plastic or leather. Plastic one was in the late 16v and leather was in the Late G60. I did a lot of ferreting on this subject when I ordered the last 7 new vr6 wheels from VW classic last year.

I have one of the wheels and I love it (thanks again) but it is definitely narrower to hold than the wheel that was fitted before hand that looked the same.

I'll avoid the obvious girth in hand joke here!

One of the left is the vr6 one, one on the right came as plastic or leather. Plastic one was in the late 16v and leather was in the Late G60. I did a lot of ferreting on this subject when I ordered the last 7 new vr6 wheels from VW classic last year.

Can we Wiki your quote Ron as you have got it spot on going on what other's have posted.

Late G60's had them according to Ron's ferreting (I stress "Leather wheel" in late G60's Black trim) 8v's and 16v's had non leather the silver one's (non leather)

Did some ones have the square centre wheel similar to a MK2 and does the silver trim denote a 16v?

My 1991 1.8 16v had the square type wheel and my 2.0 16v ('95) had the silver insert on the wheel (right hand pic)

Cannot remember what my G60 had though

My VR ('92) has the one on the left

Edited by A5 VRX

Did some ones have the square centre wheel similar to a MK2 and does the silver trim denote a 16v?

First I believe Mick is early G60's/16v's. I think the silver denote's 8v's/16v's as they are on non leather wheel's whereas the black one is on a Leather wheel IE a late G60 like Ron said. I don't profess to being an expert just participating in the thread can do without the rest...

It is a minefield..

Wheel with black trim being leather and the right one has been in the 3 VRs i have owned so ties in with the theory…

Square one is from a 1.8 16v..

Thats the end of my understanding..

It is a minefield..

Wheel with black trim being leather and the right one has been in the 3 VRs i have owned so ties in with the theory…

Square one is from a 1.8 16v..

Thats the end of my understanding..

I think what confuses us the most is the fact these car's have been around long enough for there to have been enough owner's and enough forgot about them/ modified through various owner's which doesn't make it totally clear and the fact you could spec whatever you wanted on your new car....