Danny Ess

Fuel Leak problem

Hi.

Just need a little help with what i think is a fuel leak on my VR6.

Started the car last week, pulled it off the driver and noticed a trail of liquid following me. Went to where my car was sat and wiped it up and it was petrol. noticed a patch of petrol on the road and then once i moved the car back to the driveway there was a patch where i left the car.

When the car was parked up i stuck some cardboard under the car (while the car was running it was ****ing out but once the car was turned off the petrol slowed down to a slow drip which i guess was the excess petrol coming out). The leak was coming from the front drivers side.

Not drove the car since as i obviously dont want to risk setting fire to it or getting stranded somewhere.

I don't know if it's related but it struggles to start up. Not sure if it's the viper alarm immobilizer that stops it starting as it takes a few turns of the key and i also have to pump the accelerator (which then results in a massive backfire which im sure my neighbours love every time i start it up). I have around 30 seconds at start up to actually start the car and them the immobiliser kicks in and i then have to turn the alarm on and off again etc. The car does start but then dies almost immediately.

Anyone have any suggestions to either problem? I can't see where abouts the fuel leak is coming from but may it be acase of the fuel lines need replacing as they've perished with age?

ANd also any help with the not starting problem?

Most likely the black rubber lines that go from the fuel rail to the hard plastic pipes.

Could also be the problem with starting due to the fuel leaking out of the lines/rail whilst it's stood.

The two issues you have are almost certainly one and the same fault. Fuel leak most likely to be in either the flow or return rubber hoses, as said previously, which are seen attached to the drivers side of the cylinder head. A fuel leak such as you suggest will significantly reduce fuel pressure to the injectors therefore causing starting and running issues. Do not drive this car until the fault is fixed or you will suffer the same fate as another on this forum recently.

Should be something you can do yourself. Mine had a minor leak but I just had to tighten up the connection around the hoses. Stand in front of the engine bay looking into it. On the left (drivers side) of the engine block should be two black rubber hoses going into the top of the engine (it's actually into the fuel rail). The rubber pipes age and they can leak at this point. Sometimes tightening them is enough but sometimes they need replacing.

If there is no leak there, then follow the rubber hoses back looking for any leaks. If you need to replace them, then original shaped hoses can be expensive. But a lot of people just replace them with standard fuel hose.

The two issues you have are almost certainly one and the same fault. Fuel leak most likely to be in either the flow or return rubber hoses, as said previously, which are seen attached to the drivers side of the cylinder head. A fuel leak such as you suggest will significantly reduce fuel pressure to the injectors therefore causing starting and running issues. Do not drive this car until the fault is fixed or you will suffer the same fate as another on this forum recently.

Agreed - just to reinforce this point, a fuel leak in the engine bay can easily result in a fire. Don't use the car until you can get this sorted.