Sign in to follow this  
olly elworthy

ABS

thinking of removing my abs system on the corrado completeley, would it just be a case of re plumbing in all the brake pipes to the master cylender, or are the parts different on the abs models, i.e. different piston diameters etc? was thinking it may just be a case of all new brake pipes and cross linking the system with two t pieces like on a mk2 golf,,, :D

Rumour has it that cars without ABS have better pedal feel, but I doubt this will be worth the significant hassle of removing the system.

Also, I have a feeling that if the car left the factory with ABS, it has to be fitted and working to get an MOT certificate...

I have a feeling that if the car left the factory with ABS, it has to be fitted and working to get an MOT certificate...

I have the same feeling, but then, most MOT people aren't gonna know that it's supposed to have ABS if you remove it all as they were made without ABS on the earlier cars... ;)

Personally, I'd leave it alone 'cos I like the safety aspect of it now that I've used it in anger a few times... ;) :oops:

got a fault with mine at the mo, works perfectly 80% of the time except if i brake realy hard and let off slightly, it sends the light on, but the abs works most of the time in light braking or if i brake to a complete standstill its fine,,

trying by proccess of elimination to work out where the fault is, may be the pedal position sensor?

or maybe worth me bleeding the whole system and changing the fluid? think ive read that you must have the ignition turned on to bleed these systems?

if it gets complicated or expensive was thinking of removing it though, just seeing if it was possible, ive made lots of brake pipes up before so that part of it would not be a problem,,, would like to gvet the abs fixed really though, cos when its working properly it is excellent,,

:D

Connect up the car to a VAG-Com while the light is on, and it'll tell you what the fault is... ;) 8) I'm gonna do that with mine to work out what the fault is, as soon as I can find a suitable time... :roll:

VAG-COM is mega useful if just for the ABS ECU. Although paying £125 for the lead to tell you the ABS Pump is fried could prove to be a nasty blow to the gonads. I managed to get 3 different errors from the same offside front wheel sensor last night, LOL! "Signal outside specified range", "Implausible Signal", and the best one "Mechanical failure", LOL!

my ABS light is on, can't get VAG-COM to talk to it though.

I know my O/S/R sensor is jiggered though.