phillvr6

Speaker opinions

Chaps,

I'm on the verge of going to Halfords to pick up some:

3.5" JBL GTO 326e - £40

5.25" JBL GTO 526e - £40

6x4" JBL GTO 6426 - £50

Am I making a mistake?

Am I likely to have any problems fitting them?

Thanks,

Phill

I had the 6x4's in my old mk2. they are alright. bit tinny, but what can you expect for that size.

you'll need at least 10" sub too to make the most of it.

the rears are good (I have the older ones in my Corrado) but why are you getting 2 sets of 2way speakers for the front? You'd be much better off with a set of component 5.25" JBLs and putting the tweeters in the dash... it'll give you a much better sound quality and sound stage... 8)

Try and get something like the C508GTI or the GTO506C

I know the latter ones fit in very well, as I have them in my Corrado... ;) :D

You may also want to get a sub of some sort to add the low down bass which it's difficult to achieve with standard size speakers... I've got an Infinity Bass Link in the boot, and the sound is lovely... 8)

the rears are good (I have the older ones in my Corrado) but why are you getting 2 sets of 2way speakers for the front? You'd be much better off with a set of component 5.25" JBLs and putting the tweeters in the dash... it'll give you a much better sound quality and sound stage... 8)

So I'd be better off getting something like some Infinity 5000cs for the front and the JBL 6x4's for he rear?

Thanks for the help.

yup, they'd do well too... Although I'd also be tempted to get the Infinity 6x4s (REF6402CF) for the rear to to keep with one make for the speakers... 8)

That'll have a very nice sound then, and if you add in a Basslink then it'll be spot on... 8)

check out http://caraudiosecurity.com/ or http://www.bassjunkies.com for good prices... ;) 8)

Yeah dont put two sets of two ways in the front - I have done so and I really am not happy with the sound - something I am hoping to solve somehow without spending more money..... :roll:

The problem seems to be that both sets of front two ways are getting same output ...which means same level of volume each - so the small 3.5 inch two ways start to break up long before the 5 inch door speakers.... Ideally I need away of blocking off some of the volume from the dash mounts - either that or I buy tweeters and add them to te existing setup..

I have Kicker DS Series...

Scott.

Ive just been out for a look at the standart speakers. The tweetere are fitted in to a plastic disk. How do I go about installing new tweeters?

Thanks.

either hack the old tweeter to bits, and fit the new one into the plastic disk, or do what I did, and cut a hole in the grill and mount 'em in there... it's actually very neat if you take your time, and you can then angle them wherever you like... 8)

If you have a grey dash, and go with either the JBL or infinity components, and want some grills with holes in, lemme know, and you can have mine 'cos my new leather came with some custom audio pods which have a mount for the tweeter... Just means that you won't have to hack your own grilles up... ;) 8)

The problem seems to be that both sets of front two ways are getting same output ...which means same level of volume each - so the small 3.5 inch two ways start to break up long before the 5 inch door speakers.... Ideally I need away of blocking off some of the volume from the dash mounts - either that or I buy tweeters and add them to te existing setup..

I have Kicker DS Series...

Scott.

Aye and the Head unit sees two 4 Ohm speakers run in parallel as 8 ohms, so double the load on the amplifier and double the heat. A proper 2 way with X over is the way to go.

Are the door pods 5.25" then? Might investigate some speeks on the way home tonight.

Do the VW speakers use the standard shape basket? So should be plug and play?

Henny, I've got a black dash but thanks for the offer.

I'm starting to get the impression that this is going to be a bigger job than I initially expected. The rear speakers should be easy enough, but I'm getting a bit concerned about things like crossovers and cutting up bits of my car.

I was hoping it was just going to be a case of unplugging the old speakers and plugging in new ones. Am I right in thinking that this is not the case?

Thanks again.

Phill

the JBL 5.25" components I bought for my C have now been fitted into both standard (early) and aftermarket door pockets with no modifications or problems... 8) I did mod the front dash grills though, as mentioned before... ;)

Whats the story with the crossover then? Since my cars already got the Nokia speaker and tweeter do I need to worry about the new crossover?

The Corrado's wiring is simply connected together at the tweeter where it comes from the head unit and then goes on to the door speaker... to wire in the cross over, all you do is cut this connection, and connect in the crossover... easy peasy... 8) I've stuck some sticky backed velcro on the cross over, and placed it into the hole under the speaker... keeps it well outta the way, and stops it rattling around... 8)

depending on which component kit you get, you may well get some nice mounts for the tweeters anyway, so you can use these to put the tweeters onto the dash instead of under the grill which means that it becomes much more of a plug-and-play task... 8)

The door speaker IS just straight plug and play though... 8)

Well my KICKERS were not plug and play.....

I had to modify the rear speaker mounts, front door mounts and I have a nice gap round the hole where old tweeters went for the co-axial 3.5's :mad:

Sounds pants too...

I've not quite followed advise as I've got 6x4" JBL GTO 6426 in the back and Infinity 5000cs components in the front.

I had to remove part of the rear speaker mounts because of the magnets, but the lodspeakers fitted in to the doors very well. I've got to fit the tweeters today but even without them its loads better than the standard set up.

Thanks again.

Phill

yeah, that's a nice balanced setup you've bought... I'll bet it does sound nice... 8)

oh, and incidentally, both JBL and Infinity are part of the same company! ;) (Harman group)

Well, I put the tweeters and crossovers in last night. Well the crossovers wouldnt fit in to the dash so theyre velcroed on top next to the tweeters which are fastened to the top of the existing speaker grilles which I had to cut so the wires could fit up the side of them. Still, a pretty neat finished article, and the crossovers actually look pretty trick.

Anyway the most important part is that it sounds excellent!