corrado wannabe

MOT passed again for another year, but....

Good news is the wee beastie passed again this year but had some advisories.

Just wondering how you all have appraoched the subject of the rear wheel bearing play with your local garage.

It came up as an advisory yet both rear wheel bearings are brand new and have literally covered a thousand miles or so.

As I understand it, this appears to be an issue a few folks have experienced and was just wondering how you went aout explaining to the garage that there is meant to be play in them. Dont think it would come across well, a non mechanic telling a mechanic how to do his job.

Thoughts?

Dougie

It may be something you put up with from an MOT point of view if they're not failing it? I had a 944 where some years they would advise on play in bearings, and other years not, despite not having replaced or touched them

The stub axles also wear, jack the car up and with the front wheels chocked and the handbrake off put your hands on the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock position, there should be the slightest of play here. Now change to 12 and 6 o'clock position and you'll find far more play as this is the plane where the stub axles wear in normal use.

An advisory is just that, they've noticed something worthy of note that's not a fail

I think your right, just looking ahead, the advisories are now on the Mot document itself, and I guess when they retest and see that there is still play they might be inclined to think I have done nothing about it.

By the way, I also remember you from the Mk1 Golf forum, I technically still own a 1980 Gti, log book and vin plate and interior only now though!

Welcome to the Corrado forum, hope your enjoying the car, despite your wee hiccup with it.

Dougie

Edited by corrado wannabe
spelling

The stub axles also wear, jack the car up and with the front wheels chocked and the handbrake off put your hands on the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock position, there should be the slightest of play here. Now change to 12 and 6 o'clock position and you'll find far more play as this is the plane where the stub axles wear in normal use.

An advisory is just that, they've noticed something worthy of note that's not a fail

Good info. Never noticed that before!

Congratulations on the pass. I took a copy of the workshop manual pages with me when I moved house and went to a different MOT station and left them on the passenger seat.

That's good info on checking for stub axle wear, never knew that.

I think your right, just looking ahead, the advisories are now on the Mot document itself, and I guess when they retest and see that there is still play they might be inclined to think I have done nothing about it.

By the way, I also remember you from the Mk1 Golf forum, I technically still own a 1980 Gti, log book and vin plate and interior only now though!

Welcome to the Corrado forum, hope your enjoying the car, despite your wee hiccup with it.

Dougie

Oh cool! Yes I'm loving the Corrado, hence it quickly being adopted as my daily! :) I'm glad to hear you've at least some MK1 still ;)

Thanks Dox,

Good point about the stub axle, so am I looking for the same level of play on both planes?

I doubt 20 year old stub axles will allow you to do this, its just an advisory, the tester is covering his arse should the VOSA rep turn up he can say in his opinion there is wear but for taper bearing in his opinion its acceptable. Another tester may not even mention it, the current message from VOSA is if in doubt pass and advise unless you have definite reason to fail it.

Don't be tempted to over tighten them as you'll just set them binding at 3 and 9 o'clock and they'll fail quickly

Great info as always, thanks guys.

I really need to get my members gallery thread updated as I have been doing lots of work on the car for a while now, but with a two year old daughter running about not getting much time to take pictures and do write ups!

Dougie