kevinbowe2000

Wing Mirror Glass Review

I said I would do this a long time ago but only got around to fitting new wing mirror glass now.

The one I bought was from ebay (blue, convex, heated +P).

Drivers side:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RIGHT-DRIVER-OFF-S-BLUE-CONVEX-HEATED-P-DOOR-MIRROR-GLASS-FOR-VW-CORRADO-88-95-/390617553250?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ACorrado&hash=item5af29ed962

Passanger Side:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PASSENGER-LHS-BLUE-CONVEX-HEATED-P-WING-DOOR-MIRROR-GLASS-FOR-VW-CORRADO-88-95-/390617552429?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ACorrado&hash=item5af29ed62d

Took some very crude measurements using 1.75l coke bottle, 70cl gin bottles and 1l gin bottles (I am a student and live with alot of women that love gin).

So I placed the original mirror at a distance of 35cm (height of coke bottle) from the gin and placed as many as I could in the viewable part of the mirror. Did the same with the new mirror glass.

What I got was:

I could get only 25.5cm with the original but 33.5cm with the new (green line distance).

did some maths and basically it turns out like this.

Original theoretical viewing angle = 15.95 deg

New theoretical viewing Angle = 27.86 deg

Big increase.

This is the angle that is behind the mirror marked with X

So you can work out what the length of the green line will be (distance from side of car to object beside you) using the formula:

distance you are from the mirror (black line) divided by the tan of the angle.

None of this is very scientific but gives an idea. Long story short, works out at an increase of 50% distance along the green line at 1m from the glass.

Fitting was easy enough, just needed to bend the heater connectors at the back. The supplied plastic holder isn’t as good as the original but near impossible to remove the original ones to reuse. The adhesive on the new ones aren’t great either but does the job. If I was putting them on again, I would put on some strong adhesive to make sure it stays on.

Only just fit them today, so if they fall off (here’s hoping not), I shall update this etc. Got a few photos but don’t think they are really necessary.

That’s it. Would definitely recommend them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79784[/ATTACH]

Edited by kevinbowe2000

The orginal plastic frame was pretty easy to get off on mine bucket of hot water 10 mins later pull them apart

Nice write up btw

The orginal plastic frame was pretty easy to get off on mine bucket of hot water 10 mins later pull them apart

Nice write up btw

Dam. Wish I had tried that. I got some adhesive remover stuff at it and they wouldn't move at all. Still have the originals sitting in a drawer so might do that tomo and refit another time. Thanks for the tip

Dam. Wish I had tried that. I got some adhesive remover stuff at it and they wouldn't move at all. Still have the originals sitting in a drawer so might do that tomo and refit another time. Thanks for the tip

Nice write up btw

Got a few photos but don’t think they are really necessary.

They are if it's pics of the Gin loving ladies ;)

Thanks for the review, I think I'm about to be buying one as my drivers side mirror doesn't de-mist.

This may be a nobbish question, but I notice the word blue in the title of the ebay item. Is the glass tinted blue? If so can you put a pic up of it please? :)

Thanks for the review, I think I'm about to be buying one as my drivers side mirror doesn't de-mist.

This may be a nobbish question, but I notice the word blue in the title of the ebay item. Is the glass tinted blue? If so can you put a pic up of it please? :)

I'll get a photo of them on the car tomo if you want?

I have the DDi blue tints on mine,they do help with the glare from headlights at night !

I have the originals for many thousand miles,the cheap blue Egay ones,but for me the money was well spent with the DDi ones

Thanks for taking the time to do this

Yeah so the adhesive is terrible. Both mirrors have slipped down to rest of the bottom of the wing mirror surrounding and are falling away from the backings. Any suggestions on good adhesives for this job? Was thinking of hot glue gun but though that it has the potential to muck up the electric movement of the mirrors.

Yeah so the adhesive is terrible. Both mirrors have slipped down to rest of the bottom of the wing mirror surrounding and are falling away from the backings. Any suggestions on good adhesives for this job? Was thinking of hot glue gun but though that it has the potential to muck up the electric movement of the mirrors.

Mine did exactly the same, I used some No More Nails Permanent Strips (Double-Sided) and so far they seem to be holding!

Ian.

I fitted my blue tint, convex mirrors yesterday. I'm really pleased with the view out of them and the look. I was annoyed at the fitting though as the two spade connectors on the back are in the wrong place, so I had to cut holes in my plastic backing plates to get access to them.

Aside from that, all is good - let's see how long the glue holds out for! lol