Tornado

VR6 Corrado ABS System Upgrade Options

Hello All,

Hopefully getting my corrado out of the shop soon, but I am being plagued by the ABS System not working. There is the ABS Delete option, and I've read about the Teves 20 Option from a Passat as a solution, but most of those parts have become obsolete too.

Is there any options to upgrade an OBD-1 Corrado to a newer VW system that has not been discontinued? Is there a write up available?

Thx,

Adriano

The teves20 system was fitted to the mk3 Golf too. The only difference between that and the passat, is a bit of fettling around the Master cylinder iirc. If you have a search of the forum through Google, there is a writeup with a list of parts required mate.

The other difference is that the Mk3 ABS light won't fit in the Corrado dash and the Corrado light WILL NOT work with the Teves20 system. You need to make a hybrid light up out of the pair. There is an ABS light that you can take from the B4 passat but they are not easy to get hold of. Not even slightly easy. Sometimes they pop up. You also need a specific light that has a part number that ends in AA or AB otherwise the light won't work with the Teves system.

If you fit the mk3 servo/master cylinder combo, you will need to cut a thread into the brake pedal pivot point as the mk3 is a ball joint and the Corrado pedal is a fork and bolt arrangement.

Also note that not all mk3 ABS systems were Teves20 systems, only the later versions. It's almost plug and play but don't be under any illusions that it is a simple afternoon in the sun upgrade. It requires a complete new brake line system fitting and a custom bracket made up to hold the ABS pump.

Hang in there though, it is worth the effort. The step up in technology from Corrado to Teves system is very noticeable. I'm running this alongside braided lines and 288 brakes and it's a fantastic (for a old car) system. I'm sure anyone who has driven mine or a similar system will agree with me.