VEEDUBBED

Door mirror shell removal..

I'm sure it's been asked umpteen times already but

after using the search and getting nowt i wanted to ask how the

door mirror outer shell is removed for repainting, repair work etc?

I've already bugged a few trying various techniques but to no avail..

Ideas pleeze.

i would like to no this as some tool kicked mine off,ive got a replacement but tried to swop the outer shell but cant split the base from main mirror

Take the glass out , dont be afraid to use some force the glass is very string , i just pushed the mirror all one way then squeezed my fingers behind and pulled the glass out , be carefull mot to pulle the electric heated wires out to far , you will then need to disconnect them

Then just remove the two screws and take of the plastic

I mean't all the internal gubbins aswell, getting out the motororised part is easy.

I need to be able to seperate the flexi bit that bends inwards in the event of being knocked back

but i can't find a way of realising the two. The main problem is that ferkin main short spring and bayonet type fixing, i can seperate the two halfs

but it's nigh on impossible to relocate.

Surely there's a way or are they designed fit and forget?

To separate the metal work from the interior and the up stand you need a pry bar with at least a 45Deg set in it. What you need to do is look at the bayonet fitting and make sure you line it up with the cut outs in the base section then use the pry bar to compress the spring and release. It needs a bit of brute force and a bit of a wiggle, but it will go.

Thats the easy bit

Hard part is putting it back together.

You need to hold the whole unit WELL in a vice, you then need to line up the bayonet and then compress with a G clamp. The trick here is to use one that allows you to rotate it slightly, so the type with the pivoting foot. Once the bayonet presses through, you need to give a quick sharp twist to lock it in.

In short, its a **** of a job

The internal gubbins on mine are held in by 4 small screws. Once the glass is out, I just removed the internals which released the plastic surround on one side. The other side is held in by 2 small screws.