richman711

g60 possible bad rings?

Hi guys

ok so short story, heres goes

after buying my g60 I noticed that the front of the engine was all ways soaked in engine oil, it appeared to be coming from the silencer box on the charger so even tho the charger ran fine I had it rebuilt by jabbasport.

Now boosts better and am happy with the charger but im still noticing the oil leaking from the silencer box, in fact its every where around the front now now plus there is a lot in the boost pipes so I know its coming from the charger.

But what I am noticing is that the intake side of the charger has a lot of oil in as well, so possibly passing down the boost return?

Now my diagnosis is split between these 2

1. Charger seals, failed on charger before rebuilt and then jabba failed to change it?

2. Worn rings/bores, oils coming from boost return due to breather, tbh ny money is on this, seems suspiciously wet on the intake side

Opinions guys?

Did you not clean the pipe work and intercooler, before fitting the rebuilt charger?

There may have been oil in the intercooler from before.

Also with engine been wet with oil, could be the rocker cover gasket, or the gasket behind the charger bracket.

Hi

cleaned the pipe from the charger and the silencer out when I had the charger rebuilt although it wasnt as bad bk then, its 100% leaking out between the two halfs of the silencer, the silencer is full of oil.

I understand that there was prob oil left in the intercooler but the charger is definitely pasaing oil, just trying to work out if its due to the charger or oik actually going in the charger from the breather

cheers

Might be a good idea posting a picture of the inside of the silencer, for the experts to see how much oil is passing as some oil is normal I think.

When was the charger rebuilt?

20141028_151557.jpg

pic as requested:)

as you can see theres a lot of oil passing, im going to check the boost return tonight to see if a lot is coming down there

Charger was rebuilt mid this year, going to check the warantee tonight.

Ok so ive just pulled the boost return pipe of and there is quite a bit of oil in there as well

So I pulled the breather hose of the rocker and ran the engine, at idle no smoke when revved theres so white/grey smoke but not a lot tbh, seems normal.

Guessing the charger seals have blown:( and the oil is coming bk down the boost return ?

If the charger seals have blown you will get blue smoke out of the exhaust.

Have you changed the oil return from the charger to the engine at all? If it is old and partly blocked you may get a bit of oil forcing through the seals.

Just looking at your photo though i think it looks near enough normal. I have just put a newly refurbed charger on mine and there is a film of oil in the boost pipes. It is when you have large pools of it everywhere that you really have problems.

You do need to sort that silencer box out though as you will be losing boost.

Hi

Im getting no smoke at idle or under load that I can see in the mirror so thats a good sign.

no, return lines a gd shout, it looks old, ill try check that tomz

I really hope your right but tbh the pics dont seem to be showing it well, there is oil gathering in the bottom of the silencer, think im going to run the engr with thw silencer off and see how much oil spray there is

I've yet to see any VAG forced induction engine that doesn't fill it's intake path with oil! It's just how they roll, lol.

If you suspect the bores, why not try a compression test? Or better still, a leak down test if you have access to workshop air?

Lol well hopefully but it does seem excessive, to the point that oils even all over the subframe and the floor and the rear bumper lol. On the upside I now know my silencer leaks.

planning to compression test it at the weekend bit tbh after seeing it wasnt breathing heavy last night I now suspect the charger, just gotta work out just how much oil its passing

20141105_185752.jpg

Hi guys

not had a chance to have a proper look but I have changed the silencer box for a rsr outlet and im now getting a reading of 1910 on the mfa that seems ok for a 68mm pulley?

Although the charger looks like its been passing oil, not sure if this amounts normal?

i havent had to top up since I noticed the oil on the bottom of the car, and the little puddles of oil the car left behind has stopped since I changed the oil pressure switch.