Sign in to follow this  
DanA

Milltek\Magnex tail pipe size

Can someone tell me the "oval" backbox dimensions for these exhausts... Are they both pretty much the same ?

My VR's still on its original exhaust and when this goes i'm thinking of getting one of the above Cat back systems.

Cheers,

Dan

Do you mean the tail pipe or the rear silencer? The tail pipe on the magnex is 6"-4"

That's not the standard size of a Magnex.

The standard Milltek and Magnex tailpipes are similar, and are slightly bigger versions of the oval OE tailpipe.

I've heard quite a few people complain about the Milltek system, due to poor fit. Magnex is much better.

I've heard quite a few people complain about the Milltek system, due to poor fit. Magnex is much better.

must admit the magnex does indeed seem to fit and even look a wee bit better than my Milltek :wink:

Sorry, yeah tailpipe! 6"x4" does seem pretty big... does that fit without modding the rear bumper ??

Yes, fits nicely without need for modification, looks perfect. The only issue I have with my magnex is is knocks slightly on the rear jacking point (next to the rear silencer).

Having fitted and supplied Milltek systems for some time now i can say that the fit of these systems is superb. I have experienced most aftermarket systems available and concluded that Milltek offered the best package. I would suggest that if any of you have experirenced poor fit problems with a Milltek system then it is going to be a fault with the installation not the system itself. I have fitted Milltek systems to every model in the Corrado range including custom built systems and have NEVER experienced problems with fit or the dreaded knock on the rear torsion beam. If any of you have a Milltek system that is displaying these problems then you can call me for assistance or indeed get the installer to do a proper job. Milltek invest a great deal of time into research and development and until such time that the product is 100% right will it be released into the market. VW Motorsport use exclusively Milltek systems even their transporter is fitted with one, if it puts a smile on the Germans faces i'm sure it will do the same for you. Milltek systems are not a "pipe dream" they are a reality. :lol:

Fair enough John. Maybe Milltek have sorted it recently as about a year or so ago all I heard was complaints!

Regarding fitting centres, 2 of the guys had their Millteks fitted by AmD, and had problems! And they're hardly monkeys!

I still preer the look and the sound of the Magnex. Will be fitting one to mine as soon as the OE one falls off, which it refuses to do :roll:

:lol:

Yes, fits nicely without need for modification, looks perfect. The only issue I have with my magnex is is knocks slightly on the rear jacking point (next to the rear silencer).

You sure yours is a 6x4 tailpipe mate? 6x4 doesn't fit in the OE bumper cut out. IIRC 6x4 is the oversize "Boxster" look tailpipe isn't it?? I think the tailpipes in the Magnex and Millteks are 4" ovals? Or am I talking horlicks??

I have a magnex, only just bigger then the original tailpipe, not too loud, excellent exhaust with no knocking or banging.

\Highly recommend Magnex :)

I have a magnex, only just bigger then the original tailpipe, not too loud, excellent exhaust with no knocking or banging.

\Highly recommend Magnex :)

Just found a pic of yours mate, looks perfect 8) Exactly what i'm after!

Is a Cat back system easy to diy fit using axle stands ?

Cheers,

Dan

All systems onto the Corrado are easy to fit given that you have a reasonably well equipped tool box. The harder part of the deal is removing the old system. Many of you will find the oe system is a one piece unit over the rear torsion beam and cutting is the only way to remove it, this may sound a simple option but if you consider the lack of space and the thickness of the steel it becomes a little more daunting. Even when you have a jointed set up corrosion has often welded the two together. I have armed myself with chain cutters, air chisel and oxy acetylene to gurantee removal in an acceptable time frame. For those of you without such kit sure have a go you might be lucky, and the system yields to your attack. You might however be wise to enquire at your local exhaust centre as to the cost of fitting. Not only will you be spared the frustration but furthermore you will have someone to address should problems arise.

Is a Cat back system easy to diy fit using axle stands ?

Cheers,

Dan

Like said in the post above dan, the major problem is the oe exhaust mine still had the original on and this is one part, so is a bit more grief to take apart, cutting it or lowering the rear axle seems to be only way it will come off.

The magnex cat back replacement was cheaper then a original vw exhaust, which kinda swung my decision at the time, also was a lot less hassle then some one piece back box middle box to fit.

Yeah, mine still has the factory 1 piece system on so will involve cutting! I don't really want to chop up an exhaust thats working perfectly, may have to wait a while till it finally gives up :)

Cheers everyone!

Well, after having "stage one" of my Milltek fitted last night - I can safely say

a) It's a perfect fit for the bumper

b) It looks awesome

c) The note is lovely - even as it's only "cat back"

Very impressed on the whole with the system, it finishes off the back end of the car nicely.

Thanks John! (16VG60 )

Magnex DO make a 6x4 oval but it looks huge and outta place on a Corrado - so I went for the smaller oval which I am very pleased with as it is a good fit and not to ostentatious