Grrrrallye

Engine mounts

Hi guys,

As the engine is out, I'm looking at replacing the mounts.

I have looked at the stock mounts and also the Vibratech stuff and my question is: Are they worth the extra? as its a lot extra.

Im looking to build a car thats nice for cruising and road trips so after comfort, its not a racer, but looking to be around 220hp when done

Any advice?

Thanks

Hello m8

as far as i am aware it is worthwhile using a VT mount for the front engine mount & then use OEM for rear engine mount & both front & rear gearbox mounts

IIRC this was what vince at stealth advised me when i had my head rebuild & other bits done

I think if you go with VT mounts all round it produces quite a degree of cabin vibrations - Kev Bacon should be able to expand on this if he sees it ;)

This sounds like good advice to me.

Was concerned about making everything overly harsh. I think i will give this setup a try and get things moving some more!!

Thanks

I have VT mounts all round and have noticed no additional vibration in the cabin. I did however just get the competition front. The rear and GB mounts were fast road so a little more forgiving. As far as costing, every one of mine were almost completely shot so needed doing, and replacing with genuine would not have saved a great deal over VT. If you use aftermarket it a slightly different story, but there are huge variations in quality, especially with rubber components if using aftermarket products.

I think it helps that the VR6 engine is heavier and smoother than 4 cylinder cars, I wouldn't want anything other than a front road VT mount on a 4 cylinder Corrado having tried a slightly firmer rear mount - horrible.

I have a brand new VAG950M (front engine mount, road) and a VAG885M (rear engine mount, road) for sale if interested mate?

£140 for the 950M (excl delivery)

£70 for the 885M (excl delivery)

Or both for £210 delivered by Parcelforce48

I have VT mounts all round and have noticed no additional vibration in the cabin. I did however just get the competition front. The rear and GB mounts were fast road so a little more forgiving

Exactly what I and a few others had and we defo noticed more vibration. An increase in transmission whine as well. It's clearly a subjective thing because I find the VR6 engine far from smooth, but it's acceptable with the stock mounts.

Either way, if you do uprate the mounts, be aware it's the gearbox one that transmits the most noise and vibration into the cabin. The front one bolts to a cross member which is isolated from the body by rubber mountings.