carrots

water in middle of carpet

looks like my water leak is in the middle of the drivers carpet.only thing i can think of is i changed the throttle cable a bit ago and wonder if water can get in there.ive got a swg scuttle fitted

Hmmm interesting - i noticed the same with my valver on the weekend but ive not had chance to look yet

i was going to test the drivers side front sunroof drain as first port of call

if your throttle cable follows the original route i cant see how that would let water in. have you any sign or dampness on the inner door sill seal? i saw a post on here showing such just after a wash & that person found it to be their door skin

dry the carpet & test with a few bottle of water - its helpful if another person can lend a hand too ;)

annoyingly i had water collecting in the passenger rear footwell, & then some in the front passenger footwell, on the VR & managed to take a look at it on sunday

sunroof drains were both ok & couldnt see any sign of it getting in from the door card

tested with a couple of litres of water from a bottle & when very heavy flow on windscreen i could see the water level creeping up over the the passenger side edge flange of the foliage thingy

i couldnt readily see the water passing under said foliage thingy but the dried carpets were getting wet when i left it a few minutes

getting to the foliage thing itself, which i know stealth replaced & sealed heavily a few months ago, is tricky as need to remove wipers & the bottom windscreen trim. I wasnt keen to do that so took a gamble with some silicone sealant & managed to just about build up a layer over the passenger side edge flange

fingers crossed that so far the carpets have been dry each morning after overnight rain but i will test fully with another bottle of water when i can

Ooo just noticed you have a '90 1.8 16v in white too lol :)

cant be my sunroof as ive not got one it must be the basic model as ive got wind up windows aswell.ive tapped up the door membrane just seems strange the carpets wetter in the middle

There is a rubber grommit on throttle cable where it passes through the bulkhead. Or could look into wing mirrors, see if its running down the inside of door card and then soaking into the carpet. Middle of floor will be the lowest point. Or have you got a hole in the floor :lol:

hope its not the floor lol.how could the mirror cause it,thing is i changed the mirror the other week as mine was kicked off.and it has got wet since but i changed the throttle cable a few weeks before so could be either

cant be my sunroof as ive not got one it must be the basic model as ive got wind up windows aswell. ive tapped up the door membrane just seems strange the carpets wetter in the middle

oooo non sunroof!! :)

ive just remembered that my mom mentioned about a leak she had in the K plate 2.0 16v when i was attending my VR on sunday. a different scenario but may help. they had water collecting in the boot. it was found to be getting in under the roof rack rails somehow & then running to the back of the roof & into the boot

i wonder if it would be possible to do similar but from the front of the roof rack rail

are your carpets still down or have you taken them up? i only ask as ive read about a trick with talcum powder where you dust your floor & then pour water from above & the talc highlights the run lines the water takes

yep no sunroof only one ive seen,yer carpets still in not had time to take them out.i hate wet cars got a landrover discovery thats like a swimming pool lol

I've had it on my Audi, the water was getting in where the mirror meets the door, it can then track down the door and onto the floor. I just used some household foam sealing tape which worked.

yep no sunroof only one ive seen,yer carpets still in not had time to take them out.i hate wet cars got a landrover discovery thats like a swimming pool lol

me also m8! it makes for very steamy driving in this type of weather too lol

ive had a quick search - try this thread for some ideads & its got photos of bits i mentioned

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=75331

let me know how your investigations go & if i have time to look at my valver this weekend i will report back also

It'll probably be either a leak on the windscreen, maybe your heater matrix, or possibly the gasket on the foliage cover that sits above the heater motor in the scuttle tray on the passenger side. The gasket on those can eventually fail and then it's easy for rain water to cascade in down over the heater motor, etc.

its had a matrix about 2-3 years ago .its had the gasket for the foliage cover but i reckon that crap plastic cover over the top of the heater might of moved ,but the passenger side seems dry.can you get and upgrade for the crap plastic cover.

Door membrane maybe behind the door card. I had water coming in from there everytime there was a big downpour and tracked it to the doorcard.

To rule out any part if the door, put some sheets of newspaper around the doofrane with most of the sheet inside, and close the door on it. When it rains, or if you use a hosepipe you'll see immediately whether the door itself is the culprit or not. My door seal upper portion was leaking and the water tracked round to the front.