MZpog

Power steering pump? fluid colour required?

For a while I've been experiencing a lack of power steering on some corners. I thought this was due to a slipping belt as could hear it squeal on full lock.

Anyway, tonight after changing the belt, it appears that wasn't the problem as I now have steering heavier than my old MGB's.

After investigating, my mechanic noted how the pump could be turned with no resistance and he believes the pump is dead.

Now I wonder if the pump was the source of a ticking noise the car had, which has now stopped.

Anyway, what I want to know is are the pumps listed on Ebay worth trying. I was lead to believe you had to buy recon units but ebay has loads listed.

Also do I need any VW specific fluid? I read somewhere that if green coloured filler cap, then it needed some green fluid. My filler cap on the 2.0 1992 9a is red so does any fluid work?

Regards,

Stuart.

no, don't use red ATF fluid, the cap is just an old mk2 golf part, no idea why VW used it on the early cars.

all corrados use VW's own hydraulic fluid or green LHM compatable hydraulic fluid as a good replacement (I've used this for years)

im sure my cap is red on mine and its a late VR?? i used green PAS fluid from TPS (VWs own) and all is working well.

Mine's a 1994 model and also has a Red Cap.

Ian.

mines like ians red cap 1996 model.... looked at mine last week and it was a green / clear colour