E2-SAW

Big Brake Kit Options for 15" wheels...

Hi guys,

Have a track orientated Corrado VR6 and looking into a big brake kit of some kind.

I'd be looking a getting something substantial but still able to fit under 15's if possible.

The best off-the-shelf product I can find that isn't OEM is a 306mm K-Sport kit, but even that MIT be pushing it.

Short of needing to get a custom kit made up, what options are anybody aware off that would cater my needs?

Am I better sticking with 15's for handling or would I be better with 16's?

Any help and info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Stevie

The only bigger brake upgrade using VAG parts available are 288mm from mk3 or 4 Golf and skoda fabia that fits under standard 15" wheels

Use the search for best options, but bigger wheels are needed for anything more

Thanks for reply Sean. Had looked at the 288 upgrade before, however I'm looking for something more non-OEM, likes of Wilwood, Brembos etc.

The car currently has a 312mm brake setup from the TT, but means having 16's minimum. The car would probably handle better with a 15" wheels. Also replacement track tyres will work out cheaper each time required as well.

Cheers

Stevie

Depends what wheels really. I've got 304mm AP racing brakes on mine and they'll fit under certain Motorsport 15's like the compomotive mo5's etc. the standard wheels are very restrictive due to the fact they have low spoke clearance and the actual rim is very thick

I think moving up to some motorsport type 16" wheels will give you a LOT more options when it comes to brakes and suitable clearances :) I couldn't imagine you're going to suffer on the handling front too badly just going from 15" -> 16" ?

Agree with Jim. The general consensus on here is that 16's are the best compromise on the rado if you want bigger brakes and retaining the handling. 17's add a certain harshness to the ride but with thinner stiffer sidewalls on the tyres I find they add a certain crispness to the steering. Whereas the 15's restrict brake size, IMO look too small for the car, and you get a bit of ballon tyre wafting on track when pushing on.

Maybe see what some of the other track guys are running on their cars.

You will suffer with affordable tyres though. In all honesty the 288's with good discs and correctly selected pads will be fine for trackdays on a realtively standard car. I used them and had very little issues, I installed some early OEM cooling ducts as well which will help for sure.

My set up is 288mm Mintex discs, Goodrige hoses, Motul600 fluid with DS2500 pads + OE cooling ducts and it managed with no issues at Knockhill on one of the hottest days of the year for awhole day. You may have to replace the pads and discs a little more but they will be a lot cheaper to replace I would have though. Maybe try and get some calipers with custom brackets to work with 288mm discs then get some good clearnace 15's to fit over them.

As for tyres the track oriented tyre have stiffer wide walls so you dont get the same issues. I used 17's with road tyres (Pirelli p-zero) on my last trackday and they were the limiting factor for the car, You might get Khumho in 16's, try looking at Hummuh's topic on his track car.

Edited by coullstar

Big alloys seemed to work on Ken Lark's old Corrado. Think they might even be 18's?!

CRW_9062.jpg

Tarox do a 6 pot kit that uses 280mm discs, also look at hi spec and wildwood as I think they do similar kits that's use 280mm discs

Big alloys seemed to work on Ken Lark's old Corrado. Think they might even be 18's?!

CRW_9062.jpg

Thats a full prepped race car with tubed inner arches to accomodate those wheels. Cant compare to a standarish VR. 15's with something like Federal 595R's would be fine although like I said you can get Kumho track tyres now in 16in. http://www.camskill.co.uk/m116b0s690p0/Track_Day_Tyres_-_Trackday_Tyres_-_Motorsport_Tyres_-_16_inch_R16_inch_-_205_45_16_205_45R16

Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated. Lots of good information.

Just to confirm, it's not a standard VR6, it's a 24v converted Vr6 with 240hp and 232 lb/ft.

Mic what style of MO do you have and with what offset? Sounds like the perfect setup.

16's are defo a consideration to open more avenues for bigger brakes, as they also fit over the current 312 TT brakes. The only factor is tyre replacement costs in comparison to 15's are much more expensive.

With the 24v it isnt going to be that much different, I followed a 24v converted Mk2 round Knockhill and there was very little in it on the straights. My old VRT went round there travelling a lot faster and coped with just 312mm discs however I did have 6pot Willwoods.

16's is your best bet I would say, just have a second set of track wheels to save wear. Pretty much what everyone does these days anyway that does trackdays.

Just to confirm, it's not a standard VR6, it's a 24v converted Vr6 with 240hp and 232 lb/ft.

Mic what style of MO do you have and with what offset? Sounds like the perfect setup.

I'm actually running 17's, Rota's with an et35 offset, but I don't use the car daily so put up with the harsher ride for the aesthetics!

What's the 24v had done to it? Very impressed it's running 240bhp.

Looks like 16's will be the best shout overall. Thanks guys.

For 240hp it's got a big induction filter and a cat back exhaust system, running a mishmash of a combo between a VR6 & a 4mo manifold. Depends how accurate the RR is I suppose, but it's no slouch :)