carrots

condensation on rear window

i think ive sorted my damp front carpets,i am now going to try and find why ive got condensation on the rear window.any ideas where the damp gets in

Take the panel off the inside of the boot lid and have a look in there… Either that or your rear lights..

Is an option or just an inspection of the rubber seals…

The boot lid can be the culprit, washer hose/spoiler mech seals/number plate light all possible...

Try to identify which of the three is the problem and then it's replace seals or repair the pipe. The bootlid can rust from the inside out because of water sitting in there so definitely worth a look and a wipe out.

I will be looking into this myself . I have condensation on the rear window too . I have a small rust spot right where the plastic is that covers the spoiler motor .

not 100% sure i think you can hear it,i will have to check

If the pump runs but now water appears on the window then I'd be starting by checking the pipe connection on the washer jet.

Whilst not a cure for the cause, a cure for the symptoms is to put a couple of de-humidifier bags in the car, one on the dash and one on the rear shelf. I bought a couple a few years back and they cured the condensation problem in my Corrado which lives on the drive all year round.

The link below shows typical bags but a search on e-bay for 'de-humidifier bags' will turn up hundreds.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-Large-DRY-AIR-CAR-HOME-DEHUMIDIFIER-BAG-MOISTURE-ABSORBER-/171271771237?pt=UK_Car_Interior_Accessories&hash=item27e097d465

I've got the willkingsons boxes in mine . It's a plastic box with with the crystals in , same thing really . I've got to sort mine sooner rather than later . I'm stacked with work though , so hard to get time to do what I need to do . Interesting about the washer , my rear wiper has stopped working too .

Check both your VW badge and Corrado badge are affixed correctly. Each use these little blue gromets - four on the Corrado badge, two on the VW badge. If one of these is missing, it's leaving quite a large hole for rain water to run in. You can get them new from your VW dealership for pennies!

Sorry to keep jumping in Carrots , we both have the same problem and rather than run two threads ,i hope its ok to join in this one . Ive removed the plastic cover which covers the motor and the tiny rust scab i have looks to have been caused by something scraping on the paint in the past . Its not caused by the condensation . My rear light rubbers are in a1 condition , the badges are bonded on so i have no holes . The boot rubbers seem fine too .

Rob

What about the aerial seal? You can remove a bit of trim and pull the roof lining down at the back. See if it's wet.

I will check this Jim , thanks . I did have a few droplets of water on the rear seat , but I think it was down to the condensation box falling over , it spilt in the boot too . It was sat on the parcel shelf I had forgotten to remove it when I drove the car .

Im pretty sure from memory that there are drain holes in the boot lid, while poking around make sure they are free.

also treat your rubbers with some rubber care products to clean them up, lights and main boot seal.

I would have a look at the rear washer hose, it could be squirting water inside your boot lid if it's split, that might well cause condensation.