Sign in to follow this  
daves16v

Noisy Fuel Pump?

Started my car this morning and instead of the quiet hum from the fuel pump I got a high pitched grinding noise for about 3 seconds. It's ok now but I'm guessing the pump is on it's last legs :(

What do you think?

Dave

Might be worth just checking / replacing the fuel filter as the pump does get a little noisy if the filters getting blocked..

But failing that, a new fuel pump is £89.99 from Euro Car Parts! :(

My pump has been noisy since I got the car and I have changed the filter last year. But this is a new noise and alot louder than it was. Is it worth replacing the filter one year on?

Pricey pump :(

for the price of a filter i'd change in every year, but if its really noisy your gonna need to replace the pump, if you replace the pump then you SHOULD replace the filter too

I think I'll monitor it for a few days, see if it gets worse.

Thanks for the input guys.

this happened to my g60 a few months back it turned out to be the pump and the sender sounded like a high pitched grinindin noise and eventually when u go to put ur foot down the car will go no were like fuel is not gettin through

Yeah mine is really noisey at the moment on my 16v. Just bought it last week but for the price I don't mind having to change it as it was a good price and a fuel pump is not going to knock it up to much (I do my own work).

It's a high pitched grinding type noise on mine and you can hear it over the engine at idle so yeah I'd say it's gonna give up any time soon on mine!