DANG60

corrado 4wd conversion

Hey guys I know this subject has cropped up a few times recently. I have a fairly good idea about what is involved and I know there are a few people on here who have done it.

Just have a couple of queries. I have started collecting parts and so far have a syncro boot floor and mk2 syncro rear beam and trailing arms.

Firstly the car is going to have a 20v turbo engine and I am hoping to use the 02m gear box. What I am curious about is if I can use vr6 hubs, wishbones, trackrods etc on the 4 cylinder subframe. This will let me keep the same mounting points for my engine however this would hopefully wide trackthe front

end allowing the use of drive shafts shop 02m to vr6 conversion drive shafts. The wide track would also allow me to keep the pass side drive shafts slightly longer which would help the angle of the drive shafts when compared to narrow track.

Also by wide tracking the front if the above works that would leave me with the narrow track syncro rear, I believe it's the vr6 syncro trailing arms that are 10mm wider each side and are really hard to get hold of so is it possible to run an axle spacers on the rear just to make it the same as the front.

Cheers

Edited by DANG60

Thanks swift kid yeah I've read that before some really good information on there.

I got my boot floor off eBay a guy near London breaking a mk3 syncro. Got the fuel tank with it also.

It certainly looks to be alot of work but doable. If your mates doing one then that is a good way of deciding if it's the way you want to go. Alot more info and parts out there to make it easier now than it used to be.

If you Google Dutch build and crc performance. There are some good things on there.

Just a thought, wouldn't spacers on the rear create slightly different rear suspension geometry to the correct rear wide track wishbones? As spacers are after the wishbone end and shock/spring mountings?

I've been in a 20v turbo, golf MK2 synchro based Corrado and it felt very different to a Corrado, it's an amazing feat of work to complete and I admire anyone with the skill to complete it, but I'd make sure the result is the sort of car you want.

my 2p, a turbo 20v ur Quattro is the way to have a German 4x4 of that era, it's properly engineered as a 4x4 and the running gear can handle the power with ease, plus it has a proper engine note :)

Hi dave, yes it possibly would alter it. I know there are ways of altering the geometry at the back,

as lowering them with the syncro axle also affects this.

When you say different, how different? In a good way or bad way? I know the corrado feels very planted with the solid rear beam on the back. Can imagine the independent like rear suspension can make it feel a bit more twitchy. My civic type r certainly didn't feel as planted as my corrado. Not that you can compare them.

My plan is to use haldex 4wd system with aftermarket controller.

I would love something like a ur quattro but would feel guilty tinkering with it where as the corrado my conscious is clear lol

Edited by DANG60