Drucey

Correct way to replace coolant on a 1.8 16v (kr)

Hi everybody and happy new year :) is there a correct procedure of changing the coolant? I'm going to do this when I get a decent enough day and was just checking the way to fill my car back up correctly.. My car is a 1.8 16v, I know you have to leave the heater in the hot position and that's about it. Is doing this and filling the engine back up ok with just squeezing the radiator hoses as you go to push out air! Is this correct or am I missing something vital? Thanks for reading.

Drain by removing the bottom rad hose, then refill as you described with the top rad hose off, until water reaches that level. Put the hose back on, and top up to max on the expansion tank. Start engine and get up to temp, leaving the expansion tank cap off. Put heater on hot and full blow, then go round squeezing the hoses. I rev to 2.5k rpm for 30 seconds, then massage the hoses for 30 secs. Repeat half a dozen times, switch off the engine and replace the expansion cap. When cool, top up to max and all should be good.

Drain by removing the bottom rad hose, then refill as you described with the top rad hose off, until water reaches that level. Put the hose back on, and top up to max on the expansion tank. Start engine and get up to temp, leaving the expansion tank cap off. Put heater on hot and full blow, then go round squeezing the hoses. I rev to 2.5k rpm for 30 seconds, then massage the hoses for 30 secs. Repeat half a dozen times, switch off the engine and replace the expansion cap. When cool, top up to max and all should be good.

Is there not a drain plug on a valver like the VR. Easier than cutting your hands up to remove the rad hoses.

yeah, sounds about right but no need to put heater on any position as it doesn't affect the water flow, that's done with air flaps

I usually do it like this:

undo bottom rad hose, water pi55es everywhere, forget to remove expansion cap, do that then more water ****es everywhere, think it's all drained out and suddenly an air lock frees and even more ****es out...

reconnect hose, fill up fairly slowly which helps to avoid big air-locks, measuring how much you put in, ensure you get close to 4 litres in the system, squeezing top and bottom rad hoses helps get some air locks out, put cap back on, run till rad fan comes on, let cool down for a few hours, then top up, also take a bit of coolant in a bottle on your first trip out in case you need to top a bit more up away from home.

If you can, collect all the old coolant and measure the amount, should be about 4.5 litres, and don't dispose of it down a storm drain.

yeah, sounds about right but no need to put heater on any position as it doesn't affect the water flow, that's done with air flaps

I usually do it like this:

undo bottom rad hose, water pi55es everywhere, forget to remove expansion cap, do that then more water ****es everywhere, think it's all drained out and suddenly an air lock frees and even more ****es out...

reconnect hose, fill up fairly slowly which helps to avoid big air-locks, measuring how much you put in, ensure you get close to 4 litres in the system, squeezing top and bottom rad hoses helps get some air locks out, put cap back on, run till rad fan comes on, let cool down for a few hours, then top up, also take a bit of coolant in a bottle on your first trip out in case you need to top a bit more up away from home.

If you can, collect all the old coolant and measure the amount, should be about 4.5 litres, and don't dispose of it down a storm drain.

tidy! thanks david :)