Sign in to follow this  
PaulG40

Petrol soaked air filter????

Ok just been looking at my engine and took the air box out for inspection and it seems as though the filter is soaked in petrol. not sure but it did smell like old fuel (but then thats what iduction pipes smell like anyway.) but the filter seems soaked!

It's a 16V so I have no idea with this engine (I am a G40 man!) so any help would be appreciated.

Hmmm, I'm no expert, but is there a leaking fuel line dripping in to the air box area. There are a fair few fuel lines etc in that area. Is it really soaked in fuel? I understand that oil spotting of the air filter is pretty well normal for a valver.....maybe it's that?

Argh.. i've read about this before but I don't know what causes it! Will try and hunt for the answer...

At first I though it was oil as one half was black but when I took the filter out it had that dry type wet feeling(ok now thats a funny one!) which petrol leaves when it's soaked into material. I am sure a little bit is oil but not all of it. It does'nt burn oil at all but there is often a smell of petrol that wfts through the cabin every now and then and there are no fuel leaks along the lines so this may be where the problem lies?

It does'nt help that I don't yet understand the way these engines get there fuel, is the air box in some way connected in terms of where the fuel lines go to do they open out to the air box in any way (can fuel get in there any way?).

It could be just oil, and the stale petrol smeel is more likely to be coming from the carbon cannister, situated directly underneath the air box. check all the hoses associated with that.

Yep it's oil and if it stinks of petrol, that indicates excessive blow-by. A classic on the valver is the breather hose gets soft and squishy with age and when you jump on the gas, the suction crimps the hose and literally sucks oil out of the breather box! It's a shoddy desigh. They put the breather right between the webbing of cylinders and 3 and 4 and it chucks bucket loads of oil up to the breather area.

I always used to wrap stainless meshing over the breather outlet so the oil condenses on that, instead of travelliing down the pipe, or just run the breather into a catch tank or something.

K