AngusL

Headlamp dips not working - Fixed WATERPROOF YOUR NEW LOOM RELAYS

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80503[/ATTACH]I recently fitted one of the uprated 2 relay & 2 fuses looms to the headlights. All worked fine after initial fitting and whilst using the car for 2 weeks afterwards.

After 2 weeks the car interior lights were stuck on and I couldn't turn off the headlights when exiting the car. I ended up pulling off the new wiring loom dip feed plug to turn the main lights off. Hmmm !

I also ended up pulling the headlight switch apart and cleaned it up but nothing was wrong with it. What a complicated little switch. No heat melted parts as others have reported.

The interesting thing was the full beam illuminated all of the dips and headlights - Very BRIGHT lights at last.

After much reading and wiring checking (Again) - GUYS !!!! Water in the new loom relay !!!!

Why don't the new loom instructions state that the relays MUST be waterproofed. This is an old problem as I have seen references on the forum to this from years ago. Only after hitting the problem though do you look for causes.

I am fitting the relays into a sealed small sandwich type box with rubber seals to protect them in future. I would advise carrying a spare one or pair of relays for future issues when out on the road at night.

If you fit a new loom headlight kit you MUST waterproof the relays.

I hope this helps someone out there.

I have edited this to put up the pic of the offending new loom relay ! Only been driven a handful of times since this was fitted.

By the way Halfords are selling the RING 30 Amp relays from £4.99 to 50p Check with their web site and move fast !

Fixed my dips for 50p.

Edited by AngusL
Picture of the relay says it all

I';ve fitted two different looms and never been happy with them, i had planned to extend the loom i have so the relays sat inside the car, but still not sure about it. I don't like leaving the headlight plugs unconnected and just sticking a wire with a spade end into them.

I made a modified loom with OEM connectors, a waterproof box for the relays and used the socket fitting off an old headlight body unit for the connection to the factory loom. No spade connectors and I've never had a problem with it in 5 years.

I see, that's quite a good idea, re: the socket from headlight. Then i think i've driven 100,000miles over 8yrs in it with standard lights so must be ok :lol:

The ones in the suppliers forum with OE connectors is well recommended Jim. Not sure if theyre still on offer, but they have male connectors for the trigger so no plugs left open to the elements. It uses micro relays so I just pushed them up under the battery bag to keep,warm and dry. Only slight negative is that as it's a commercial loom, every mm costs, and it could do with maybe 50mm extra to the negative battery terminal to make it easier and tidier when routing. I had thought of making my own, but for the price I couldnt have made one much cheaper with the connectors. It met my very high standard of workmanship on the wiring too. It is very well made indeed!

Hi Jim,

I bought one of the twin relay looms from eBay it's instructions were to cut into the dip and main beam feeds which I did soldering the cuts and heat shrink tubing sealed afterwards. So I threw away the new loom crimped ends.

This allows you to retain the oem headlight plugs.

I did notice the old wiring looking decidedly worse for wear and had to be cleaned up to solder the new wires in. Leading me to believe that it's the old wiring that is the major factor in the bad lighting on corrados. I am going to give the new loom a second chance after waterproofing the relays.

Next time it fails I will be replacing the old wiring from the headlight plug back to the fuse box with some lower resistance wire and see how that works. Given that the original wiring lasted 20 years and the new loom relay lasted 2 weeks..... You see where I am going with this... It's the old wiring at fault so replace it and you keep the original relays in the car out of the way of the elements. I think if you relocate the new loom relays back in the car... That's a bit too much wiring that isn't needed.

I strongly believe replacing the old wiring is the proper fix for the trusty corrado headlights.

I think the problem with the factory wiring is the long route it takes and the lack of relays, its all wired direct to the switch and stalk and drops voltage by the time it reaches the headlamp units.

Hi Jim,

I bought one of the twin relay looms from eBay it's instructions were to cut into the dip and main beam feeds which I did soldering the cuts and heat shrink tubing sealed afterwards. So I threw away the new loom crimped ends.

This allows you to retain the oem headlight plugs.

I did notice the old wiring looking decidedly worse for wear and had to be cleaned up to solder the new wires in. Leading me to believe that it's the old wiring that is the major factor in the bad lighting on corrados. I am going to give the new loom a second chance after waterproofing the relays.

Next time it fails I will be replacing the old wiring from the headlight plug back to the fuse box with some lower resistance wire and see how that works. Given that the original wiring lasted 20 years and the new loom relay lasted 2 weeks..... You see where I am going with this... It's the old wiring at fault so replace it and you keep the original relays in the car out of the way of the elements. I think if you relocate the new loom relays back in the car... That's a bit too much wiring that isn't needed.

I strongly believe replacing the old wiring is the proper fix for the trusty corrado headlights.

I have 2 uprated looms, both from KUR2Y who was a user on here providing triple relay looms, & neither of them required any cutting into feeds. OK they use spades & not OEM connectors but ive not had any issue with them (apart from 1 relay going after 4 odd years)

I believe he used 3 relays so as if one dies you still retain headlight sidelight function

I haven't put them in a sealed box either.

there is a person on here who's company makes wiring & they now offer a loom with OEM connectors, take a look here http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=81540

I am considering purchasing one of the above for my valver, as KUR2Y seems to have not been around for a while, but haven't done so yet

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

I made a modified loom with OEM connectors, a waterproof box for the relays and used the socket fitting off an old headlight body unit for the connection to the factory loom. No spade connectors and I've never had a problem with it in 5 years.

Same here. I got hold of OEM headlight connectors from a car being broken and modified a second hand KUR2Y loom to connect to them. Then put the relays in a splash-proof box although I keep meaning to fully waterproof it. It's fine after 3.5 years.