RFD

MK1 Golf Sportline or VR6 Corrado?!

Hi all,

I'm toying with swapping out of my lovely golf (a car I always wanted to own) and into an aqua blue VR6 (a car I still want to own)!!

So I've joined up here so I can do a bit of research and hopefully decide what I'm going to do.

All advice, comments, thoughts and observations welcomed!

Cheers

RFD

Two very good but very different cars in almost every respect! I'd say go for it. You'll always regret it if you don't try one. Like any older car, there are a few problems that may be encountered at this point in their lives. Heres a link to a good buyers guide, well worth reading and taking with you if you decide to view one!

Whatever you decide, good luck! :thumbleft:

http://wiki.the-corrado.net/the_corrado_buying_guide_checklist.html

Hello mate - posted up on your thread in MK1 Golf OC forum ;)

As I mentioned there, sell the Sportline and buy the VR plus a cheaper MK1 ;) You'll get strong money for the S/L and at least you can keep the MK1 thing alive - I really miss my Sportline :)

Golf will be better at retaining value. VR6 sounds like sex..... tough call!!

At the moment 190bhp has a strong appeal!!!

I looked at Sportlines when I was considering a Corrado. The SL will feel older and more agricultural. The Corrado will feel newer (although neither feel modern of course) and is better for long distance driving. The Golf will hold its value more.

Couple of mentions now about retaining value. I've seen various comments on lots of sites claiming the Corrado has reached the bottom of the value curve and can only start to go up.

Always a difficult thing to predict I appreciate, but you guys on here don't seem so confident about them holding their money?

I'm guessing £4k would buy a decent VR6 and with a bit of tlc there can't be that much further to fall? Or have I missed the point?

I'd disagree a little that the Golf will hold its value better to be honest. Provided you don't run the Corrado into the ground, and it doesn't accrue sky high mileage, I don't think the price will go down when you decide to sell.

I`ve had both and the sportline was the most enjoyable to own, good sportlines used to struggle to fetch 3k now they are fetching 4-5k....corrado values overall have dipped with only the exceptional fetching higher money..... i`d have an L reg black sportline over a corrado...

I'd disagree a little that the Golf will hold its value better to be honest. Provided you don't run the Corrado into the ground, and it doesn't accrue sky high mileage, I don't think the price will go down when you decide to sell.

My instinct is to agree with you mate. I have no solid foundation to base that on, but judging by the popularity of this site and others there is definitely a strong Corrado following and that'll surely always benefit future values.

I kind of understand that either Golf or Corrado will be fun cars and will by their very nature cost money to run and may depreciate. If they don't then that's a bonus!!

I think because golfs have and always will have a wider emotionally attached audience and will therefore in the long run hold their value better.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't swap for one, but that's just how I feel. It will probably become more difficult to get hold straight corrados in the future but by then a nice sport line will be museum pieces.

If you can keep the g while running a Corrado to truly test the water that would be perfect, not sure if that's an option?

i had a mk1 with a 1.8 16v on carbs running around 160bhp some years ago it was great fun to drive but the sportline being the heavy cab won't feel as sporty or sound as nice as a vr6