fendervg

Help needed - possible coolant leak from radiator

Hi all - had to be towed home two nights ago due to losing all of my coolant. Thankfully the engine did not overheat. Troubleshooting today and have the front of the car jacked up to have a look - and the leak seems to be coming from the radiator - specifically the round hole that you can see in the picture underneath the front valance. This looks like part of the radiator mount. Is it possible the fixing popped out due to frost or that there should be a plug of some sort here? I always use 60/40 water/G12+, so not sure why cold temps would have done this.

Any help appreciated.

If thats the part i'm thinking of, its just a hole in the valance, the rad has a little plastic lug that stick out and sits in the hole, there should be two locations like that, should also be a rubber washer that sits between the valance and rad lug.

I wouldn't of thought the rad would leak from there, but any leak would probably find its way down to there.

In the pic, is rad still in the car?

It's just a mounting spike with a rubber shoe so to speak. It's likely coming from further up or fatigue/age has caused the plastic to crack. There are no drains or anything so it'll be new rad time for sure unless it's seeping from the top elbow or a hose. Not too expensive for a hella unit which are now probably the best available. OE are obsolete unfortunately.

Jim beat me to it!

Can see the lugs on the bottom here

535121251E.jpg

Also there are holes in the valance that are the same size and shape, but aren't used, so that may be what you're looking at. Is the rad neck seal ok?, also the plastic parts up the side of rad may crack, or the temp sensor in the rad could be leak.

Hoses seem tight and I can't feel any leaks there. I remember the plastic mounting lugs and washer from when I did the crack pipe. I'll double check it all again to be sure, but it seems to be coming from the bottom of the rad. Does anyone have the Hella part# for the radiator? Seem to remember a few on here getting one recently.

Cheers and thanks for the quick replies.

Is that an English company? A quick google for "Ad Rad Radiators" turns up suppliers in Australia and New Zealand.

Cheers for that. Their price delivered to Ireland is €150 compared to the range from €220 to €350 I've been quoted over here. I've asked them to confirm if the one they supply is still Hella.

As Vag Hag and Sean said ^^ I repalced my radiator a couple of weeks ago with this company. I'ts a good fit and is Hella quality.

This is my post read it through Hints and tips on how to remove etc. It certainly helped me a lot. Hope it helps you. Feel free to pm me or post on your thread, for any other help you may need.

Click here. http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=89593&highlight=ray1965

Edited by Ray1965

I've had the front end off the car before, so not worried about that. I also think I have a rad neck piece around that I can use. Will have a look at your thread for any tips. Going to order the radiator today.

Grand then - I have a new seal on order

This reminds me i need to order a new seal. Where did you get yours from steelers?

Yeah, it's not too bad once you've done it a couple of times. The trick is to do any other bits that are then easy to get at while you have the front end off - oil cooler hoses and engine sensors and alternator etc. spring to mind. I've inspected all my power steering hoses and tightened them where needed.