Shep___

Hot starting ignition problem.

I've searched and found a few threads about hot starting problems, but they all involve the engine turning but not firing.

I have an issue where, when hot, the starter will not turn over. The car has no problems starting if rolling, but it just won't turn over until it's cooled for 20 minutes.

I stalled it in traffic last week. :bonk: Luckly someone took pity and gave me a push.

I'm thinking it should be ignition switch or starter motor related, but generally I don't have any issues at all starting from cold. Has anyone got any experience of this issue or any pointers before I start replacing bits?

thanks!

Paul

can you hear the starter motor trying to turn when you turn the key in the ignition?

if not perhaps it could be that for some reason it is jamming when the heat builds up in the engine bay maybe

Mine was a really sluggish starter, to the point I very nearly bought a starter motor, then one day it wouldn't start at all, I bought an ignition switch and it worked first time, and my starter was much much much better. Not saying that's your problem but if it's never been done it's probably a good idea

Hi, no I can't hear it trying to turn when it doesn't work and it's never sluggish when it does, It's an all or nothing thing.

Hi, no I can't hear it trying to turn when it doesn't work and it's never sluggish when it does, It's an all or nothing thing.

a trick which you could use to potentially identify a starter motor getting jammed, when it next offends, is to get a long screw driver or similar (something that reaches down to the starter) and give it a knock on the top with a hammer - exercising due care of course

i had to do this when my starter motor gave up the first day i drove my car back from stealth after my engine work

symptoms was that i would turn the key in the ignition & nothing happened related to it trying to start, no clicks or anything. IIRC all i could hear was the normal electric water pump starting to woosh the coolant round the system

Thanks for the replies. I did try tapping the starter with a breaker bar last time it happened. It didn't have any effect, but this might have been not me not tapping hard enough or in the wrong place.

Although I think the starter is more likely, I think I will try a new ignition switch first, since this is quite inexpensive and easy to fit. I'll update when I've tried it.

cheers,

If the ignition switch replacement fails to solve the problem , you could try leaving the car in gear and rocking it backwards and forwards , this will also jog the starter motor .