Ruggy

Anybody know about mk5 Golf GTI's?

I have an EPC and engine warning light on, the car also won't rev past 3k and has almost no power at all.

It's a 2005 GTI. I have been trying to put a different radio in the car today but it wouldn't turn on.

I decided to check the fuse box in the engine bay to see if any of the fuses had blown. I pulled them out 1 by 1 to check them, but none of them had blown.

Would pulling out the fuses cause the warning lights to come on and the engine lose power? I think it's gone into something called limp mode?

Anybody got a picture of their gti's engine bay fuse box? so I can compare it to mine to make sure I've put the fuses back in the right position!

Is there anybody close to the Bradford area that has VCDS?

Somebody please help, I've only had the car 1 week and it has been running fine right up until I messed with the fuse box.

I'm now terrified I've got a big repair bill.

Thank you

Sounds like it's just gone into limp mode ,,,I wouldn't mess with anything until you get the fault codes read as you could make it worse..

Hope it's something simple...

Cheers Russ.

I've put a shout out on mk5golfgti.co.uk forum to ask if there's anybody local to Bradford with VCDS who could scan it for me.

Main thing to check with them is coilpacks, check any vacuum hoses as well. Theres a plastic corrugated hose (think it was a breather hose near front right, you need toi take engine cover off) at the front of the that had cracked on ours Skoda (same engine) and it was low on power, wouldn't rev etc.

Best thing is fault code read to start with.

Main thing to check with them is coilpacks, check any vacuum hoses as well. Theres a plastic corrugated hose (think it was a breather hose near front right, you need toi take engine cover off) at the front of the that had cracked on ours Skoda (same engine) and it was low on power, wouldn't rev etc.

Best thing is fault code read to start with.

Thanks mate. Luckily a member of the mk5golfgti.co.uk forum has said that he will scan the codes on the car for me on Wednesday, so will hopefully get to the bottom of it then.

I've got my fingers crossed that it's just linked to me farting around with the fuse box, hopefully just needs the codes clearing and resetting.

Turns out that the member on the golf forum who was kind enough to say he will help me is also a member on here as well, has a Corrado VR alongside his Golf.

Could be the crankshaft sensor or high pressure fuel pump sending it into limp home mode.Need to get codes read to point you in the right direction.

A code read is essential if any of us are going to be of any real help, as this will assist in any long distance diagnostics. However be advised that In general the tfsi engine are pretty good but they have two main areas of weakness with age and mileage that can cause what you are experiencing. One has been mentioned which is the high pressure fuel pump. These suffer with the cam follower that acts on them. The other is heavy deposition into the valve ports and build up on the valves themselves causing a restriction in the ports to the extent wherein the engine will lose all power. Both issues can be addressed, but the cam follower if broken up can cause a great deal of damage. My bet, for now or at least until more info is known, is that you have the restriction in the cylinder head ports.

I'm hopefully getting the codes read on Wednesday, so hopefully this will at least give me a general idea of what's going on.

It shouldn't be a problem related to the cam follower, as this was changed for a brand new one on Saturday. The car was driving absolutely fine up until I started messing around with the radio wiring and fuses. Like an idiot, I didn't disconnect the battery whilst I was doing this. So I'm hoping that I just tripped something with my clumsy attempts!

All sorted and back to running how it should.

Turned out to be what I thought and hoped it was.

Messing around with the fuses in the engine bay and I didn't put them back in the right place.

Fuse 13 was missing, this is for the Engine Control Module and Fuse 23 missing, this is for the N75 Valve, the N80 Valve and the DV.

There was a very worrying moment when the codes were read and it came back with just about every possible engine error!

Replaced the fuses and everything is now back to normal.

This will teach me to be messing around with electrics in the dark!!

Want to say a massive thank you to MAT ED30 who came over to mine with his VCDS, he went out of his way to help me. Top, top bloke.