dimxdk

Newbie from Denmark (With pictures)

Hi everybody and thank you for letting me be a part of this community :)

In September 2014 I bought my first ever sportscoupe, a jasmine yellow Corrado VR6 2.9 with leather cabin build the year 1992.

However since the winter approached, I decided to spare my newly bought Corrado from all the salt that gets spread on our roads, and thus found a place to store it for the winter.

Below is an image from the day I drove it home from Sweden.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81093[/ATTACH]

I bought it in a small town near Malmø, and the guys there told us that it is allowed to write your own license plates when needed for trial runs. I don’t know if this is true, but he needed the plates to be able to unsubscribe the car in Sweden, so the car was driven to Danish ground on hand written license plate.. Potentially quite illegal ;)

Here is how they make license plates in Sweden :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81095[/ATTACH]

The condition of the car is really good I think. There only rust I'we found is in the wheel arches, and the reason for it being there is probably because the previous owner decided to use a metal cutter to make room for the wheels. In the cabin the leather in the drivers seat has a hole in it, and there are a few cabin parts missing such as A pillars, ABS/Engine light and the part around the inside door handle on the passenger side. The heater system has been tampered with, but it actually turned out that there is a non-working AC installed.

The cabin seen from the inside. Missing A pillars and ABS/CE light.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81096[/ATTACH]

The car has been a bit modified, but I like most of the changes. In-Pro head and rear light, open air filter, OZ rims colored black, yellow steering wheel and a few more. I don’t think Corrado were produced with white background on the clocks(?), but mine has it and I think it looks nice. The doors have also been modified to fit extra speakers, and that might be a good idea but the build quality has decayed a bit. The saddest part is that the rear bumper has been cut to make room for a dual port exhaust, and that doesn’t look nice.

Here is a picture of the car parked in a driveway, where you can see that the cut for the exhaust does not look nice.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81094[/ATTACH]

Some weeks ago I found the car on the Swedish gallery of cars: http://www.garaget.org/?car=31371

I seems that the engine has been taken apart and restored in 2006, so I don’t think it's a problem that it has 240.000km on the clock. On these pictures in can be seen that the automatic spoiler has been stuck since at least 2006.

Now the weather is getting better so I want to get pay the import taxes and get some Danish license plates on the car. To be able to do this I need to pass the inspection. I tried this just before storing it for the winter and (of cause) the ABS turned out not to work. The problem is that this needs be working, because the car was manufactured with it. So next week I will fetch the car and try to hunt down the ABS problem and hopefully find a way to fix it. I’ve ordered a diagnostic tool with the 2x2 connector that hopefully will be able to find the problem :)

Any good advice will be appreciated :)

Here is a picture of the car hibernating for the winter

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81097[/ATTACH]

Hopefully I will be able to find the parts I'm missing in here, and get to know some of you nice people :)

If anybody knows anything about the history of my car, I would really like to know it. I have documentation stating that it has been imported from Germany (around Berlin) back in the days. The Swedish registration number was: PYL930

This is for sure the most awesome car that I have ever driven!!

welcome

we love to see where rado's pop up around the world

there are a few breakers on here who might be able to help with your missing parts

Great to see the forum being used overseas - welcome! For those parts you could do worse than drive south to Essen in a few weeks time ;)

Fantastic - a rare colour for the VR6. One of my favourites! Good to see it's gone to an enthusiast and as others have said, I'm always quite excited when we land new members from other countries (as the user base here is primarily all British / UK based).

Welcome aboard!

Thank you for the welcome :)

I know that jasmine yellow is rare color for a VR6 model. I have heard a few said they don't like the color, but personally I think that this yellow/black theme suits this car perfectly (especially with the in-pro tail lamps).

Looking forward to fetch my Corrado from storage tomorrow and hopefully get a lot closer to fix the ABS!

Personally think yellow on a Corrado looks superb. As much as I like the metallic colours they get a bit samey after a while. Jasmine Yellow is really uncommon so great to see :)

Are there many Corrados in the UK?

It is for sure a rare sight too see a Corrado here in Denmark.

By luck I meet a guy at the grocery store when I was driving my Corrado on trial plates right after I bought it. And the most amazing thing is that he also owns a yellow Corrado from Sweden (also not registered yet).. I don't what the odds for meeting this guy are, but I for sure think that they were incredibly low :)

On the online car gallery here in Denmark (bilgalleri.dk) I have not yet seen a single yellow Corrado (however there is a gold colored one).

UPDATE:

So yesterday I fetched my Corrado :) The first thing I did was to check all fuses, and I found that the fuse for the FOG light was missing, so I installed a new one.

Then I connected the OBD 2x2 diagnostics connector and read the following from the car:

3 Faults Found:

00537 - Lambda (Oxygen Sensor) Regulation

11-10 - Control Limit Not Reached - Intermittent

00281 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

(Vehicle speed sensor - no signal (G68))

00540 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

(Knock sensor 2 (G66))

Readiness: N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 03: ABS Brakes

Controller:

Note: Excessive Comm Errors

I tried several times to use the ABS diagnostic window in the VAG-com software, but it continuously returned the same error (Communication errors). I then connected a LED to the red/yellow and black wires in the spare dash connector. The LED blinked the code 1241 (Wheel speed sensor, front right). Measuring the resistance directly on the sensor showed that it was just open circuit, so I replaced it with a new one. I then also installed new brakes on the front of the car and a new pinion cuff, as this is required to pass the inspection. Then the ABS light only showed up briefly and then turns off, so I guess that it work. This morning it started showing 4444 (No fault recognized).. I guest that the diagnostics wire is jumped somewhere, so I will figure this out. This may explain why the OBD communication fails..

I might need a bit of help from you guys. I don't have the correct ABS dash lamp, and I don't know what exactly which part I am searching for. Last week I found a ABS lamp, but it did not fit on the connector (Notice the two rows of pins).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81155[/ATTACH]

The connector has the following wires:

Wht/Blu

Brn/Wht

Yel/Red = ABS Light

Blk = Negative terminal / ground

Gry

Grn

Brn

Grey and green two separate wires.. In the wire diagram there is one wire Gry/Grn?

Any help finding the lamp fitting this connector is appreciated. Maybe I can use one from a Passat or similar? (I cannot write in the technical forum yet)

I'm afraid I can't help too much. However, do a search of the forum and I know there is some threads about the ABS lights. I searched a few months ago when I had a problem with my 16v ABS light staying on. From memory there are three types of ABS light. The one in my car had been chopped in to the loom as it wasn't the original type.

My part number ended in BA - I think there's an AA and one other?

UPDATE:

I ended up buying an ABS lamp from a polo and modified it too fit my Corrado. This was done by gluing an LED and some resistors inside the lamp housing. An extra resistor was needed for the lamp to turn totally off due to a leak current from the controller. It actually looks nice, so I’m considering switching some of the button to polo parts as well :)

The car was brought to inspection and passed without any remarks! :D

A few hundred meters after passing the inspection the lamp turned on again.. :/

Now it is only a matter of waiting to pay the import tax and then it is on the road!!

Next step is to get some of the missing parts for the cabin. I need A pillar covers and passenger side door handle frame. I will contact some of the breakers as soon as I am able write in those forums :)

Have a nice day out there!

UPDATE:

I ended up buying an ABS lamp from a polo and modified it too fit my Corrado. This was done by gluing an LED and some resistors inside the lamp housing. An extra resistor was needed for the lamp to turn totally off due to a leak current from the controller. It actually looks nice, so I’m considering switching some of the button to polo parts as well :)

The car was brought to inspection and passed without any remarks! :D

A few hundred meters after passing the inspection the lamp turned on again.. :/

Now it is only a matter of waiting to pay the import tax and then it is on the road!!

Next step is to get some of the missing parts for the cabin. I need A pillar covers and passenger side door handle frame. I will contact some of the breakers as soon as I am able write in those forums :)

Have a nice day out there!

good work!

glad it behaved & left the ABS light off until after the test ;) lol