Gti_Jamo

G60 Cooling System Fun.

Hi guys,

So my G60's been very reliable since I got it all up and running back in April and done near 10k but the other day it popped out it's camshaft seal. Looked as though it had been spinning in its seat. No problem, sorted that with a new one with a wee dab of sealant to keep it in place this time. Done a compression test just for the sake of it while I was there and had 150psi across the range which i'm happy with. Was concerned about blow-by issues but unlikely that'd push the seal out. I'm happy that's that sorted.

However, afterwards after about 6 miles it decided to chuck it's water out and lost heaters. Got it back to the garage and done a sniff test and all was well but upon getting it back to temp the thermostat didn't open and began to overheat again. Oh well, easy one. Got a new thermostat fitted but this time it opened when it reached temp but contined on to overheat again. Then I noticed the blowers wern't getting much heat and the hoses to the matrix lacked any kind of pressure so i'm thinking it's just an airlock. That's ok, so filled it up via the top radiator hose and took off the matrix outlet pipe so to see it was flowing ok. Fired her up and still the same. Doesn't appear to be any blockages anywhere and no sign of HG failure so surely it can only be the water pump. Now a question, am i right in thinking the small top hose coming from the water pump is an outlet to feed the cylinder head and oil cooler or is it the other way about? As i'm not getting anything from it. The other small pipe on the pump goes to the hard metal pipe tha goes to the expansion tank so that must be an inlet. The pump is still quiet and neither is it leaking but i'm kind of thinking it can only be that.

Ordered one up for tomorrow since they're so cheap and hopefully sort it out. I've usually associated failed pumps on old vdubs with bad noises. I'll be ****ed off taking that out and it's fine lol.

Also the old saying, ''what goes up must come down'' is a lie as my spoiler is still up lol. Must be a micro switch stuck but i'll manually wind it down and deal with that at a later date.

Anyway, that's the past few days for me in the life of a G60 owner, what's yours?

If anyone can shed light on the WP flow configuration that'll be great too.

Cheers.

Edited by Gti_Jamo

Changed the pump and thermostat but still the same unfortunately. Going to set up the gas analyser tomorrow and check the coolant for hydrocarbons which will confirm it. It's a shame as it still runs spot on and it's not using water or mixing it with the oil but the top end is getting hot quickly and believe escaping combustion is the cause.

Bloody thing testing my patients now lol. Not a bad job but it's more money I don't have.

Where do you get head bolts for a 1H Rallye engine these days?

does your g60 have the pressure relief valves connected between the inlet and outlet to the heater matrix?

if these have seized like mine did you would have problems like you describe.

i believe these valves were fitted as a recall and not available when i asked vw years ago. i by-passed mine

Yeah it has them and I took them of yesterday for inspection but not put the back on yet. I can blow through them finebut not getting any movement in the inlet side valve. I'll run it tomorrow one last time with them removed just to eliminate them if anything.

Well don't i feel a right tit lol.

Replaced the valves with some copper pipe, put water in it then looked at the expansion cap. One of the O rings was missing meaning the water could easily come out the release hole. Put some new O rings in it and everything worked fine. Hot air from the blowers. What i was mistaking for excessive pressure was a lack of seal in the cap. No pressure = no circulation. The ring must of came adrift when I changed my camshaft seal last week as I had it off. Always check the simple things lol.

I did put the pressure valves back on but I think changing them back created an air lock as my heater dwindled somewhat during the short drive home although no water was lost. I'll purge it out in the morning when it's cold and also going to get a new expansion cap for peace of mind and also some G12.

At least it's sorted as I was ready to burn it yesterday. School boy error as they say.

its all ways the stupid things that get ya!

just out of interest have just brought your plate or are you the one trying to sell it? seen it for sale all over the place last few months.

i was well tempted:thumbleft:

Yeah it's my plate came with the car. The previous owner was meant to keep it but they sold me a duff car and couldn't provide me proof of supposed work that had been carried out so I just kept it lol. Fairs fair! Had it for sale a few times when money is tight but i'm not too fussed. It's a cool plate and could only be fitted to a G60, unless your names Goot and you drive a Fiesta ST.