Nweaver87

Starter/ignition problems

Alright guys here's the deal. My starter died on me a few days ago and due to the fact of not having any new replacements in the country I had mine rebuilt. I reinstalled the starter as it should be. I turned the key and all I got was a click. I figured that leaving the car sit for a few days maybe the battery had died so I gave it a jump and the same thing happened all I get is a click sound. Can anyone give me some advice as to what would cause this to happen. The starter was taken out and put back in a few days later and nothing else has been done to the car. If it matters at all it is a 1990 1.8 16v.

Easy pops is right, the ignition switches on Corrado, at the age they are now, are a potential problem. But for now let's go back a step. If when you turn your ignition to the start position you get a click sound, it is most likely this click is the starter solonoid being energised. You can check this by having a helper feel the starter solonoid while you turn the ignition switch. Your helper will feel the solonoid activate readily if it is working. If that is true then your fault is unlikely to be the ignition switch. So if the starter solonoid is being energised but, still you have no starter rotation, then your fault lies with insufficient current being transferred from the battery through the solonoid contacts to the starter motor. All assuming of course your rebuilt starter is a good unit! So I would suggest you have your battery properly checked, ie load tested, to ensure it does not have a fault preventing it passing the correct current to the starter. If your battery has dead cells a jump start won't always work. If your battery checks out ok, then you need to check that your starter solonoid is working correctly and passing full battery current to the starter motor. If it's contacts are worn and they were not replaced during the rebuild, then this is possible. My bet is that you have a battery fault, or indeed a breakdown in the passage of current from the battery through the solonoid to the starter caused by poor or corroded wiring connections. In the case of the latter clean the battery and starter solonoid terminals and lubricate with contact grease.

Mine was a corroded terminal from the + battery post to the starter motor (green corrosion) cleaned it up and all was well