delfinis38

Power steering....

just changed my Power steering fluid..... took 700ml out and put 700ml in of the VW green stuff.... steering is very noisy...

I've done lock to lock for about 10 mins and still not quite.... cant drive the car far the car is SORN.... do I need to pump the hoses to purge any air out ???

any suggestions is the pump knackered ???

just changed my Power steering fluid..... took 700ml out and put 700ml in of the VW green stuff.... steering is very noisy...

I've done lock to lock for about 10 mins and still not quite.... cant drive the car far the car is SORN.... do I need to pump the hoses to purge any air out ???

any suggestions is the pump knackered ???

Good God, mate!

U too??? :eek:

My bad luck rubbing on u too??? :shocked!:

I think my car took about 300ml

Not sure how much came out?

From engine it squealed when in full lock :(

But think it quiten down now ...

MAy i ask how u drained it?

Presumably it was fine prior to the change?

From what I've been told it can sometimes take a while for all the air to leave the system so I wouldn't worry just yet.

From what I've been told it can sometimes take a while for all the air to leave the system so I wouldn't worry just yet.

Probably why my has settled now after about 70miles....

thanks jim... yes fine prior. I've pumped the pipe a bit which dropped the fluid in the bottle about 10mm and I cheated and drove down the road 100 metres...

it now has a very low pitch whine and grumbles a bit on full lock hard over.... sounds as you say jim, will take a while to calm down.... and if waynes car is not perfect after a change 2 weeks ago, I'm a bit happier.... don't think the pump is knackered.

not driven a corrado for a while am I right in saying the steering is heavier than a modern day car.... I keep comparing it to my 420 BMW and new style polo.

You know if your pump wasn't working. I had arms like Arnie after a week of driving with a faulty pump.

and if waynes car is not perfect after a change 2 weeks ago, I'm a bit happier.... don't think the pump is knackered.

not driven a corrado for a while am I right in saying the steering is heavier than a modern day car.... I keep comparing it to my 420 BMW and new style polo.

Lol

My car not perfect?

Thats an understatement :lol:

Yes

I STILL not used to the heavy power steering at low speed!

Feels like it has NO power steering at all! :eek:

Can i ask: how u pump the power steering fluid?

MAy i ask how u drained it?

took the jubilee clip off the pipe on the pump, then removed hose. managed to do lock to lock a few times which kicked a bit more fluid out.... was about 10mm still in bottle which is below the fluid exit. so I hand pumped it out.... then cleaned some yuk black stuff out of the bottom of the bottle with a rag and screwdriver. then filled slowly so no air in system. Alternator belt next.... but I think I will put some spuds in at the allotment... :)

You know if your pump wasn't working. I had arms like Arnie after a week of driving with a faulty pump.

good to know ! I guess it need to be driven now thanks for the info.

Yeah - the steering is VERY heavy compared to my Fiesta - and I'm only on standard Speedlines and with slightly skinnier than normal tyres. It feels very strange getting back behind the wheel again.

The test I think would be to wait until the engine is fully warmed up (so not idling at a higher RPM), then try the steering whilst stationary. When I went through a run of several faulty power steering pumps, it was noticeably heavier than normal and groaned a hell of a lot but that vanished somewhat when revving the engine, or moving even at low speed because I guess of the higher RPM and therefore the pump running faster. The problem wasn't apparent as much when the engine was cold again presumably because of higher revs so the pump running a bit faster.

Thanks jim.... I'm fairly happy with it now... Although not perfect, just a bit alarming to start with. Will see if it settles over the next few days. Will try and warm it up and spin the pump faster.

took the jubilee clip off the pipe on the pump, then removed hose. managed to do lock to lock a few times which kicked a bit more fluid out.... was about 10mm still in bottle which is below the fluid exit. so I hand pumped it out.... then cleaned some yuk black stuff out of the bottom of the bottle with a rag and screwdriver. then filled slowly so no air in system. Alternator belt next.... but I think I will put some spuds in at the allotment... :)

Cool thanks :)

Look at my thread for alternator belt change !!!

I've found the best way when bleeding is to have the car jacked up at the front and do lock to lock a dozen or so times without the engine running, then again with engine running. Drop the car back down to the floor and repeat with engine running.

Worked really well on both the cars I've done it on

I've found the best way when bleeding is to have the car jacked up at the front and do lock to lock a dozen or so times without the engine running, then again with engine running. Drop the car back down to the floor and repeat with engine running.

Worked really well on both the cars I've done it on

Noted too, Sean :thumb right:

i changed fluid to the vw green stuff {almost 3 years now, same time i converted to 24v } and it hasnt been right since, it seemed ok until the car warmed up and then the pas would make noise doing 3 point turns etc , im assuming because the fluid thins out when its warm/hot, i then used a pas leak stop addative which seems to quieten it down abit but the steering isnt as light as i remeber it, going to put on another pump and see how that goes but i cant help but think its the vw green fluid that caused my problems,

so looks like i was a numpty and used the wrong fluid ---

"The green and red PAS fluids are chassis number dependant. You need to check with the dealer. My 94 VR6 uses the red auto transmission fluid and I confirmed with the dealer it is the correct stuff. The green stuff is a light oil for newer generartion VWs. Always use the right one."

Edited by VW_OwneR_85