MZpog

Is there a way to reset the automatic spoiler?

Having never had spoiler that works automatically, I'm unaware if there is a way to reset it.

Mine works on the switch and I'm planning on having a go at getting it working but want to know if it a case of if left up and the car is then started should it come down or is there some sequence to restart/reset the automatic function?

hmmm good question

when i raise it manually before washing the car, engine not running & using the dash button, & then go for a drive i think, IIRC, that it normally remains in the up position until you first start to brake & then it lowers (or you use the button to lower it)

i dont recall it lowering itself as soon as the car is started after cleaning but then i cant remember if it doesnt lower until you have exceeded the 'raise' speed & then slowed down

also no idea if there is a reset function but would be nice to know

It should reset its self. Ie if you raise it to clean the car the go for a drive when you come to a halt again the spoiler will be down. Hope this makes sense.

It should reset its self. Ie if you raise it to clean the car the go for a drive when you come to a halt again the spoiler will be down. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks, make sense. Here's hoping one of my 3 spoiler modules work or I'm gonna be wasting my time checking the wiring.

I may be wrong but I think that if you raise the spoiler manually and then drive the car you have to reach or exceed the speed at which it normally rises automatically before it will go down by itself. I had an incident a few years ago where, after raising the spoiler manually I drove through town and the spoiler remained up. A cyclist decided to use the car as a resting place so I accidentally lowered the spoiler manually and unfortunately caught his fingers between it and the boot lid. Ooops.

I may be wrong but I think that if you raise the spoiler manually and then drive the car you have to reach or exceed the speed at which it normally rises automatically before it will go down by itself. I had an incident a few years ago where, after raising the spoiler manually I drove through town and the spoiler remained up. A cyclist decided to use the car as a resting place so I accidentally lowered the spoiler manually and unfortunately caught his fingers between it and the boot lid. Ooops.

that is exactly what i wasnt sure of wullie

& ha ha ha that'll learn em lol

You don't need to exceed the raise speed for it to come back down, just the lower speed. So, if you raise it manually when washing, drive up the street at 20mph, when you slow to 15 mph (or whatever it is exactly), it'll come back down. :thumbleft:

Put mine down yesterday and no sign of movement this morning but that maybe because it's got the spoiler module out of a VR fitted and I doubt this mornings crawl will have exceeded 50mph. Hopefully tonight will give me a chance to try it.

Had hoped that some recent tidying of the fusebox wiring might have fixed the spoiler but alas it just fixed the brake warning light. I did note a few "spare" plugs, but all blue/white seemed to be plugged in.

Take of the spoiler cover,get 2 wires about a 1m long,pop your boot light out,connect 1 wire to + side of light,other to earth,disconnect spoiler plug,there's 2 terminals,put wires on these,if spoiler doesn't raise,reverse them,let the spoiler go up,then reverse the polarity,do this a few times.if the spoiler is hesitant and jerky, check out my "recon spoiler" thread in the wiki

Good luck

Take of the spoiler cover,get 2 wires about a 1m long,pop your boot light out,connect 1 wire to + side of light,other to earth,disconnect spoiler plug,there's 2 terminals,put wires on these,if spoiler doesn't raise,reverse them,let the spoiler go up,then reverse the polarity,do this a few times.if the spoiler is hesitant and jerky, check out my "recon spoiler" thread in the wiki

Good luck

Think I'm gonna just pull the mechanism and recon it anyway for piece of mine. Did start the process once but one of the captive nuts started spinning, so I gave up.

Yeah they are a swine those captive nuts.

Two of em, took ages to get out and now the mechanism seems to be tangled in the wiring.......give up for tonight and drink ciders.

MM... Ciders ;)

On the topic of spoilers... I was driving infront of a S14 Nissan with maaahooosive spoiler.

His face when my spoiler retracted was priceless! :D

I would suggest looking for bad ground? The rear window is a hell hole of rust on alot of cars even if the rust is underneath the rubber it can leak true and cause a cable or two to corrode...

Just brainstorming.