Hairyarse

Trim rattle woes!!

The trim rattles have been driving me crazy (Such a rare C problem I know! lol) So yesterday I started on taking trim panels off and covering everything in trim tape!!

I've only done the near side parcel shelf mount, speak and rear quarter card so far - and am not sure if I've succeeded in doing anything other than adding a new squeak to the list! :bonk:

However, one question - the trim cover around the rear seat belt here;

IMAG1726_zpsatohprz1.jpg

It's only got the one screw to fix it in place and the top edge with the split in it just seems to sit loosely around the surrounding trim. Is this supposed to fit in to place a little tighter than pictured?

There are tabs on that trim piece at the top which slot into the c pillar trim. It's hard to tell from your pic but maybe part of that tab is missing which prevents it from securing properly.

Here's a pic of what it should look look like.

e9bbe9e7c14f7490b3bd42bb4a0ca47a.jpg

\Paddy

I removed this not long and since it went back on its rattles like fury... I can't get it back in correctly... Drives me insane...

Cheers for the pic Paddy. I think mine looks like that - I'll have to check fitment again.

Goldie - I'm with you now in the insanity stakes!! :bonk:

Just fill all the voids with expanding foam - that'll stop the ******* from rattling/squeaking ^_^

Note - don't do this :/

That's a bad one. Cover the underside with sticky back felt (thin) and the protruding lip with fabric loom tape. Carefully slide it into the slot in the c-post.

Just fill all the voids with expanding foam - that'll stop the ******* from rattling/squeaking ^_^

Note - don't do this :/

Haha :thumbleft:

That's a bad one. Cover the underside with sticky back felt (thin) and the protruding lip with fabric loom tape. Carefully slide it into the slot in the c-post.

I've got trim foam tape under the perimeter of it, it must be the tab isn't home properly in to the C-pillar - or the tab is not 100% complete. I'll check.

Thanks again for the feedback chaps :thumbleft:

Trim tape is not great because there's flex in the plastic. Cover the base completely.

Trim tape is not great because there's flex in the plastic. Cover the base completely.

Will do, good point :thumbleft:

Well as per Paddy's pic above, the N/S trim is correct, I just hadn't noticed the slot so it's sat in there fairly well now. The O/S one only has half a tab.

However, I thought I'd do the O/S speaker shelf today - I'm glad I did - I found the seatbelt bolt loose and it's almost hanging off the body!!

IMAG1732_zpsvihockr5.jpg

On the upside, I thought 'great' - that must be a big source of my rattles. Erm....sadly not :( I still don't seem to have cured much if any. I think a lot of the squeaks and rattles are coming from the tailgate. The gap between the tailgate and body on mine seems too large. However, I have tried before adjusting the rubber bump stops and the boot catch attached to the body but it's made no difference. It just got to a point where the tailgate wouldn't latch closed.

It sounds almost like the tailgate is a little loose and it's rattling up and down but I can't feel any movement in it.

More head scratching required me thinks!

If you're removing trim pieces to tape them up you could go for a drive before refitting the trim. You'll eventually find the source of the rattle but you might have the full interior removed by then..... :)

\Paddy

Tailgate noise can be a few things. The parcel shelf should have foam blocks which sit against the tailgate to prevent it rumbling. Also grease the faces of the rubber stops.

the c-post trims have a fair amount of flex. Press each piece along its length and along the sides to see if there's any noise there. Check the clips are intact. Also stick some felt on the faces between the clip slot and the mounting holes.

Thanks chaps. I had thought of driving without the trim, but keep thinking in my head it's the tailgate.

I guess it's just a job of patience!! lol

Krytox seems to come up a lot on other forums where people are curing squeaks and rattles.

I cured an annoying squeaky, rattly tailgate by undoing the four bolts that hold it on and realigning the whole thing, it was a bit of a faff but those few silent miles after were priceless!

I cured an annoying squeaky, rattly tailgate by undoing the four bolts that hold it on and realigning the whole thing, it was a bit of a faff but those few silent miles after were priceless!

Thanks for the info. To be honest it had crossed my mind as I couldn't think of any other way to get it sitting right again. I've done that on a MK2 Golf before and it worked a treat.

I thought the parcel shelf straps may have been adding to the squeaks as they do squeak when you move them on their pins. However, detaching them made no difference! lol.

Having fitted four nearly new tyres this afternoon, that's helped a little as I guess they're a little more supple than the old ones.

Next up will be trying to realign the tailgate. After that, I think it may be old, tired suspension that's not helping.

I havent used it myself, but read about this guy using it for his door seals on an e46 m3

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1375505&postcount=245

I have also read about people using it on plastic trims such as here

http://www.pistonheads.com/GASSING/topic.asp?h=0&f=136&t=1499652&mid=0&nmt=Interior+trim+rattles+how+do+I+get+rid%3F

Thanks for the links Zak :thumbleft:

If you've still got the boot popper and it's intact, it may be worth giving it a grease. I had my tailgate in pieces several times over a 2 year period when trying to track down a rogue squeak, and it turned out to be the popper

Top tip Tony! I saw your reply on my phone earlier, so sprayed a little silicone grease on it. I think it's certainly got rid of a squeak! :thumbleft: