Sign in to follow this  
ben16v

cutting bumpstops

theres one on hear somewhere mate cos i had the same problem try the search its there somewhere i promise. Try adding Mike in the search as im sure it quotes him as the the original supplier of the Part No to the forum.

So, front top mounts with coilovers - will they fit properly with std VW parts, or should I use an aftermarket front top mount? :?

And thanks Steve, you were right about the coilover having the bumpstop built in :D

So, front top mounts with coilovers - will they fit properly with std VW parts, or should I use an aftermarket front top mount?
Coilovers are designed to be used with the standard top mounts.. :wink:

Sorry to resurrect this thread after so long, but I've got a quick question!

In the first post, there's a picture of ben16v's rear bump stops. Are these 16V/4 cylinder specific, or should VR6 ones look the same?

I bought a couple from GSF, and the ones they sent me are a lot more bulbous looking!

I've got H&R springs to go on at the weekend and I want to make sure I've got all the right bits before I start dismantling the suspension.

Many thanks,

Andrew.

Yep- I am in just the same situation- mine are like a round sponge ball with just small bit that looks like the ones in the first pic. I am going to order some from VW but have no idea which kind are going to turn up.

The bulbous ones are certainly shorter than the ones in those pics tho!?

It's hard to tell. They're maybe not that much shorter, but they're certainly different!

Did you order yours from GSF as well? Maybe the bulbous ones are the right bump stops for a VR6...

Ah, I see!

Is the bulbous section to the top or the bottom when fitted?

OH :roll:

I fitted a new Weitec socker n spring kit to my 60 not long back... I did not cut my rear stops. To be honest I never thought of it. How does this 'Cutting the Stops' relate to this post in Drivetrain.

Linky linky

So if the car at the rear rides on the stops you cut em and the car drops a little.

So which is best cutting the stops or moving the spring plate a notch down as mentioned in the linked post??

My car rides a little high at the rear as mentioned in the linked post

Just been on the H&R website, there's a technical section on there that includes information about trimming the bump stops.

They suggest taking 1" off the front bump stops, but nothing off the rears.

Would you guys still suggest trimming the rear bump stops or am I better off just leaving them?

I didnt cut the bump stops down the first time i replaced the rear shocks, and in 9 months they failed an MOT (shocks), and when i changed them over, the bump stops were smashed to pieces and completly fooked, and im fairly sure thats the reason why the shocks failed, the bump stops were clouting the shock seal way 2 much and caused it to eventually give up!!

There supposed to be a last resort to the suspension bottoming out so if its lowered, i think the bump stops should definatly be cut down, other wise you wont be getting the full suspension travel needed!!!

Andy

I didnt cut the bump stops down the first time i replaced the rear shocks, and in 9 months they failed an MOT (shocks), and when i changed them over, the bump stops were smashed to pieces and completly fooked, and im fairly sure thats the reason why the shocks failed, the bump stops were clouting the shock seal way 2 much and caused it to eventually give up!!

There supposed to be a last resort to the suspension bottoming out so if its lowered, i think the bump stops should definatly be cut down, other wise you wont be getting the full suspension travel needed!!!

Andy

yep, similar thing to me on my old boge dampers, I did find though on the Koni's I then fitted, that to trim what I needed off the stops meant that the dust covers hit the spring baseplate occasionally, so I had to trim these down a bit, problem was I overdid it and then they didn't protect the top of the shocks enough. You have to be pretty careful to get everything set right depending on ride height and suspension travel.

David.

tug, GSF sell both types of rear bumpstop

Yeah, it just threw me a bit when these things that look like salt & pepper mills turned up when I was expecting something completely different!

At least I now know I've got the right bump stops for my VR.

I am going to resurrect this thread if i may. I have uprated suspension on my vr lowered by 40mm and i have just fitted 9x16's on it. When driving normally the wheels dont catch at all and as its not on the floor it doesnt catch when im giving it a bit round some bends. However if i go round a bend and hit a bump they scrub (:mad:) or if im going at a high ish speed and hit a large dip they scrub. I dont think my suspension has these bump stops so i will obviously need to get some right?

I have found the right ones on GSF for the vr6 but they dont have any for the front for the vr6, are they the same as the 4 cylinders or do i need to get some different ones? if so where from and does anyone know part numbers etc?

Cheers,

Rob.

Ok thank, are they specifically for the corrado vr6 or are they for another cra but will fit the corrado? Any part numbers at all?

But the rears off GSF are fine but will just need the top notch cutting off?

Rob.

I just done another search and its advised to use the MK4 golf bump stops on the front as they are shorter. So can someone just clarify this for me:

I need the vr6 rear bump stops from GSF and cut the top notch off?

AND

I need the MK4 golf front bump stops and dont cut any off? Do GSF do these or will i need to go VW?

Cheers,

Rob.

EDIT: Part numbers on GSF are 45723H for the rear (vr6) and 1J0 412 303 from VW for the short Mk4 golf front. Correct?