Knuckleduster

Newbie Mechanic

Hi All,

I have joined this forum not as an owner, but as my son has just bought a 2.9VR6 it will be down to me to look after it.Currently I have 2 MK2 Sciroccos,Golf MK4SE Estate mapped to 180BHP and look after the other lads Seat Leon 1.6 and Audi A4 Estate.Our house looks like a VAG carpark and must and does upset my neighbours at times (especialy when I get the my universal extractor out--4 pound lump hammer ) I am a member of other Vw forums catering for the above models and find the communities a great source of help and info and I hope I can help other members out when ever possible

My best wishes to all for the future

Gerry

welcome along - sounds like an interesting fleet you have there! I'm sure you'll find a wealth of info here plus perhaps some of the politest members of an enthusiasts forum. Look forward to your input too.

Hi all,

Many thanks for the warm welcome.

We picked up the car last night in my old home city of Birmingham and apart from a flashing ABS light and a little hesitant throttle response had a nice cruise back to Buckingham.The usual problems with the tilt and slide roof are evident--similar to the Sciroccos one( made up new slides out of alluminium -sorted)I`ve had other rocco owners after me to make them some slides. The Corrado is in fairly good condition for a 94 model--needs some tlc to sort out some issues like the fog lamp glass is cracked,sunroof,alloys are non standard and look awfull but what do you expect for a 20 yr old car. It has a full service history and hasn`t been messed about with, so I think it has the makings of a good classic car with a little fettling (by me!)It`s a 94 2.9 on an L plate and it is that very nice and very dark purple colour which really suits the car with about 150 on the clock.

Best Wishes

Gerry

Welcome to the forum. Perhaps you should start a business refurbishing sunroofs, you would get a lot of work off this forum alone!

Thankyou all for the warm welcome, I`ve now had time to have a good look at the car,fixed a couple of small issues with the lights and have compiled a list of work to do.

Source some foglight glass--only ones available seem to be the early bosch ones--I read that BMW E30 ones can be modded to fit?.

Replace the noisey serphantine belt tensioner bearing--easy fix

Rear exhaust outlet pipe rotten--get the mig welder out!

Is it normal for the shield on rear disks to be so much larger than the disk its meant to protect--looks silly.The disk and callipers look OEM.Generally the brakes need to be improved--not a patch on my MK4 Golf wagon.

Headlight relay mod and possibly uprated bulbs--running 100/80s + mod on the sciroccos properly set up give good lights without blinding anyone.

Then there is the sunroof to sort out--looks as though I will be busy in my workshop again with the Dremel and files.

The A4 is going after breaking the output shaft flange off--caused by the inboard CV joint seizing.It left stub shaft in the box and had to make an extractor to get it out. Found correct one in local scrappy but had to take 3 apart before finding correct one--got really good at pulling then out in the end--practice makes perfect.

My son is currently hunting for some new alloys (selling the A4 will pay for wheels and tyres)

Will keep you posted

By the way if anyone wants some ally bits made for their sunroof I will post design on forum after I have played with this one and would gladly help anyone out

Best Wishes

Gerry