mic_VR

Video Editing

Morning all!

I'm sure some of you on here are going to be able to help me with this.

Basically I've had a gopro for a few years and I usually end up editing the files on my work PC.... which is not designed for it and tends to be a very long and boring task.

So I'm thinking of taking the plunge and finally getting myself something to edit videos on.

I don't have the space at home for a full desktop PC so I'm looking at a laptop. I think the MacBook pro's get a good review and are very much suited to the task in hand, but there's obviously the price (although I am thinking I'll be doing more videos as my son grows up and I've got a few projects in the back of my mind so it will get used). And I don't know enough about computers to spec up my own laptop so I'm after some advice.

Do people recommend the MacBook or what are others using to edit files?

Definitely. I've been dabbling a bit with the free software I got on my Macbook Air - iMovie. It's pretty basic, but you can do quite a bit with it. If you wanted to get more advanced you'd need to consider Final Cut which is a bit of money.

I've sent you a PM about Apple hardware though which might be of interest. It's extremely good for the importing / handling / archiving of media though I have to say. And the Macbook Pro is a superb piece of it.

So you'd recommend a mac mate? I've only ever used windows but I'm happy to switch... I've got apple everything else so I like the idea of it all syncing together for things like calendars etc.

Replied to your PM, cheers. Would you go pro over air or does the air handle the editing quite well?

The Air copes very well but you can buy a *much* more powerful Macbook Pro for similar money - the only reason you'd have the Air is if you needed the portability as it is a lot lighter than the Pro! The Pro is a better value proposition with more horsepower and more expandability options (ports).

Admittedly if you've never used OS X there will be a learning curve.. but I really, REALLY much prefer Mac OS X to the current iterations of Windows. If you want guidance with specifications, etc don't hesitate to shout.

Just bung VMware Fusion onto OS X if you can't live without Windoze. It's very good and only about 60 quid. You'll need a licensed (or bent, your choice) copy of Windoze too.

Check your employer's staff benefits scheme as we get discount on Apple products at our place. You can / could also buy from Apple's University stores and get a discount, despite not being a student, but they might have closed that back door now.

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Cheers Kev, good shout.

I'd like to run vcds on it as well, and ultimately DTA if my winter project comes off.

Yeah that's doable as Fusion can 'talk' to the USB port in Windows mode, thanks to Macs finally going with Intel hardware.

As for DTA, it was sold to a new owner this year and it just so happens he developed an Android app for it...... but as it currently stands, it's still serial port comms only, so you'll either need a legacy laptop with RS232, or you can get a USB > RS232 adapter which works well in Windows, but I reckon it will be a ******* via Fusion / Mac.

It doesn't appear to be. I use an RS-232 dongle, connected to my Mac, but using a terminal client within a Windows VM to communicate with some old computer hardware. Works just fine :)